RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-79 :: Monday, 24 April 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#79
Monday, 24 April 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. www.theonion.com: U.S. Funneling Arms To Dissident Angel Group In Effort To Topple God.
2. www.rt.com: 31% of Americans view Russia as ‘greatest danger’ to US, highest rate in 3 decades – poll.
3. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrei Tsygankov, AMERICAN RUSSOPHOBIA AND THE CRISIS OF LIBERAL WEST.
4. www.rt.com: Senior Russian senator names major threats to civilized world. (Konstantin Kosachev)
5. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, SOME GOOD ADVICE. (re Kimberly Marten on Russia and NATO)
6. www.pravdareport.com: Oleg Artyukov, Top 10 list: Putin ‘loses control, the fall is near’
7. TASS: Putin calls for setting apart real anti-corruption crusaders from political show-offs.
8. TASS: Russian premier believes attaining 2% GDP growth in 2017 viable. (Medvedev)
9. www.bearmarketbrief.com: Kudrin’s Medicine for Longterm Growth.
10. Interfax: Punishment for petty crimes excessive, decriminalization needed – Kudrin.
11. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, Russia Investors Get No Love From Trump, But…
12. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Financial Times: Russia’s oil and gas industry booming BECAUSE of sanctions. Financial Times shows sanctions have triggered a technological boom and a successful restructuring within Russia’s oil and gas industry.
13. Wall Street Journal: TRUMP ADMINISTRATION REJECTS EXXON BID TO RESUME VENTURES IN RUSSIA.
14. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Jousting with Jehovah: Russia bans American church. RBTH goes undercover at a Russian convention of the U.S.-based religious organization, which has about 8 million followers worldwide. On April 20, it was labelled an extremist organization by Russia’s Ministry of Justice.
15. Moscow Times: Emily Baran, Jehovah’s Witnesses Ban Spells End for Russia’s Religious Diversity. The state may be the central actor, but its actions reflect the popular will of Russians everywhere.
16. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Kremlin Stringing Kadyrov Along on Oil.
17. Fort Russ: Fake News Bust: There are no “Gay Gulags” in Chechnya.
18. TASS: ‘No danger’ for Novaya Gazeta journalists – Chechnya’s head.
19. New York Times editorial: Chechnya’s Crackdown on Gays.
20. Paul Goble: ‘Russia is the Only Country Dying Out in Peacetime,’ Villager Responds to Medvedev.
21. RFE/RL: YouTube Removes Video Comparing Kremlin Opponent Navalny To Hitler.
23. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 20 APRIL 2017.
24. TASS: Putin’s spokesman says Kremlin never had any aversion to Macron.
25. Carnegie Moscow Center: Media Call: Russian Economic Sanctions-No End in Sight. (with Andrew Weiss and Andrey Movchan)
26. Russian Council on International Affairs: Andrey Kortunov, A New Model of International Cooperation in the Social Sciences and the Humanities. The task of integrating Russian social sciences and humanities into the global discourse remains for the most part unsolved.
27. Valdai Discussion Club: Dmitry Suslov, THE LIGHT AND DARK SIDES OF THE TRUMP ADMINISTRATION.
28. The American Conservative: George D. O’Neill, Why Do We Want a Cooperative Relationship With Russia? What Time magazine doesn’t understand about the noninterventionist right.
29. Russian Council on International Affairs: Alexey Polyankov, Achievements of Détente Forgotten: INF Treaty Not Observed Anymore?
30. Lawfare: Yuri Zhukhov, Understanding Russia’s New Role in the Middle East.
31. Stephen J. Cimbala and Paul Bracken: Crises in the Second Nuclear Age.
32. Izvestia: Alexei Zabrodin, Russia will try to bring North Korea back to negotiations. Washington places big hopes in Moscow in resolution of North Korean problem.
33. www.rt.com: ‘Honey traps’ at bars & other Russian threats to Baltic states (according to them)
34. Washington Times: L. Todd Wood, Ukrainian corruption casts nuclear pall over Europe. Lack of oversight, regulatory control make for clear danger.
35. Interfax: OSCE vehicle blown up in Luhansk region by 3 Ukrainian saboteurs – LPR.
36. Fort Russ: Turchinov BBC interview, Part one: response to declarations of Peoples Republics was war. He would do it all over again.
37. Fort Russ: Turchinov BBC interview, Part two: “I decided to start the ATO without consulting with anyone.” How will it end? “We have no alternative but to win”risis
38. Center for American Progress Action Fund: Responding to Russia’s Attack on Democracy.