RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-63 :: Friday, 31 March 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#63
Friday, 31 March 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, #Russian and #Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. The latest proof that Russia hacked the US election in 2016. (Eugene Rumer)
2. TASS: ‘Secret spy room’ uncovered in Moscow during renovation work. A secret chamber used for eavesdropping on enemies in the 16th century was discovered in downtown Moscow.
3. AP: Russia experts paint sinister picture of meddling in U.S. election.
4. https://off-guardian.org: “Experts” reveal their “evidence” of Russian “hacking”
5. www.rt.com: ‘Soviet active measures’: Hearing on Russian influence resurrects Cold War tropes.
6. Bloomberg: Russian Economy Crawled to Growth With Recession in Rearview.
7. Kremlin.ru: The Arctic: Territory of Dialogue international forum. (excerpts re Putin)
8. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, NOT SO REBELLIOUS YOUTH.
9. Moscow Times: Study: Russia’s Most Active Protesters Are Its Least Active Voters
10. https://bearmarketbrief.com: Aaron Schwartzbaum, A New Generation of Janitors Takes to the Streets.
11. Carnegie Moscow Center: Alexander Baunov, The Storm Clouds of 2017: Russia’s New Protests.
12. The Economist: Sudden movement. Aleksei Navalny brings Russia’s opposition back to life. Anti-corruption protests herald a new generation of political activism.
13. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 30 MARCH 2017.
14. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, The Triumph of “Patriotic Corruption”
15. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, RUSSIAN ANGER AT CORRUPTION IS A POLITICAL ASSET FOR PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN, NOT FOR CRITICS LIKE ALEXEI NAVALNY.
16. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Russian public losing trust in government institutions.
17. Bloomberg: Leonid Ragozin, Alexei Navalny Wants Putin’s Job. Here’s What He’d Do With It. The Russian presidential hopeful who led Sunday’s coast-to-coast protests talks about corruption, the Kremlin, Ukraine, and Trump.
18. The Guardian (UK): Richard Sakwa, Russia’s 1989 plea for a new world order was rejected, and so Putinism was born. As the cold war ended, Mikhail Gorbachev wanted a new political community, with Russia as an equal partner. The west refused to countenance it.
19. Creators.com: Patrick Buchanan, Is Putin the ‘Preeminent Statesman’ of Our Times?
20. The National Interest: Maria Snegovaya, Russian and America Media Polarization: Where It Comes From, Where It’s Going. This is how the media-in Russia as well as the American free market-helps shape public opinion.
21. Moscow Times: Eva Hartog, The Story of Vedomosti – A Russian Newspaper’s Struggle for Independence. Does the departure of the paper’s veteran editor pose yet another threat to Russia’s already embattled independent media scene?
22. The Nation: Nadezda Azhgikhina, In Russia, Are Fake Feminist Groups Back in Action? The goals of “Fem Fest” seemed to be less rallying Russian women and more demonstrating to the West that Russian feminists exist.
23. www.opendemocracy.net: Bulat Mukhamedzhanov, Russia’s prison service is keeping its abuses under lock and key. Despite signs of early change, the cover-up of torture inside Russia’s prison service demands reform.
24. www.rt.com: EU gives up blocking Russia’s Nord Stream-2 pipeline – report.
25. Awful Avalanche: Russian Company Develops New Treatment For Tuberculosis.
26. www.rt.com: Read my lips: NO – Putin says about Russia’s ‘meddling’ in US elections.
27. Antiwar.com: Justin Raimondo, A Cyber-Gulf of Tonkin. There was no “Russian hacking” of the 2016 election.
28. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Michael Flynn offers evidence to ‘Russiagate’ probes, denies wrongdoing. General Flynn’s offer to give evidence to the Russiagate probes is being misrepresented as an admission of wrongdoing instead of a denial.
29. Counterpunch.org: Brian Cloughley, The Beneficiaries of Conflict With Russia.
30. www.emptywheel.net: Marcy Wheeler, WHAT WAS THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN FSB AND GRU IN THE DNC HACK, REDUX?
31. Huffington Post: Alexander Zaitchik, The UN’s Nuclear Weapon Talks May Be The Most Important Thing Nobody’s Paying Attention To. On Monday, a quixotic and necessary conference kicked off at the United Nations.
32. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov answers questions from readers of the newspaper Argumenty i Fakty.