RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-243 :: Thursday, 28 December 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#243
Thursday, 28 December 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Vesti.ru: Rest in Peace – Top Anchor Pays Tribute to the Great Russians Who Passed in 2017.
2. New York Times: Olga Shevchenko and Oksana Sarkisova, Remembering Life in the Soviet Union, One Family Photo at a Time.
3. Moscow Times: 2017 Hottest Year on Record in Russia.
4. Pravda.ru: Dmitry Sudakov, Ten things that foreigners can never understand about Russians.
5. TASS: Poll indicates more than half of Russians donate blood and the trend is rising.
6. Wall Street Journal: Putin Declares St. Petersburg Blast Terrorism. Grocery store bombing injured 13; Russian president orders officials to act decisively to stop further attacks.
7. TASS: Vedomosti: How Putin prepared for his fourth term in 2017.
8. Interfax: Artificial increase of voter turnout in Russian presidential elections is harmful, it harms electoral system – Pamfilova.
9. www.rt.com: YouTube blocks Navalny’s calls for Russian election boycott.
10. TASS: Facebook explains reason behind blocking of Chechen head’s accounts.
11. RFE/RL: Interview: Kremlin Warning To Navalny About Election Boycott Serves As Fuel For His Campaign. (interview with Nikolai Petrov)
12. www.rt.com: Putin says Russia should ditch petrol in favor of natural gas fuel.
13. TASS: Putin calls for conditions to bring underground economy ‘out of the shadows’
14. Moscow Times: Anton Dolin, Looking Back at the Year in Russian Cinema. Russia’s preeminent film critic gives his critique of 2017.
15. Bloomberg: Russia to Keep Its Grip on Europe’s Gas Market After Record 2017.
16. Sputnik: Year in Review: Russia-Saudi-Led Oil Deal Makes Prices Rise Despite US Shale Output Boost.
17. Valdai Discussion CLub: Timofei Bordachev, MAIN RESULTS OF 2017: ENERGETIC RUSSIA AND THE GREATER EURASIA COMMUNITY.
18. www.rt.com: New US sanctions on Moscow would ‘make Cold War look like child’s play’ – top Russian banker. (Herman Gref)
19. UNIAN (Kyiv): Tillerson: U.S. has no illusions about today’s regime in Russia.
20. The Globalist: Michael Brenner, Russia in the American Mind. Russia has been stigmatized as ghoul no. 2 in the American chamber of horrors. That is an act of escapism that conveniently removes China from much-needed public attention.
21. www.rt.com: Danielle Ryan, Reasons to doubt the veracity of the ‘Steele dossier’ on Trump are still emerging.
22. Tablet: Lee Smith, Did President Obama Read the ‘Steele Dossier’ in the White House Last August? Why the timeline of the scandalous report that fuels Russiagate matters. (excerpt)
23. Smithsonian.com: The Weird Story of the FBI and ‘It’s a Wonderful Life.’ The film supposedly had Communistic tendencies.
24. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, The mysterious “Alice Donovan”: a tale brought to you by the FBI. An apology to our readers for publishing a writer who unknown to us plagiarises and writes under a pseudonym.
25. Disobedient Media: Adam Carter, Fancy Frauds, Bogus Bears & Malware Mimicry?! Anomalies Discovered In Malware Found By CrowdStrike Merit Further Inspection. (excerpt)
26. Vesti.ru: “Smarter Not Stronger”: Putin Reveals Counter-Strategy to US Arms Build-Up.
27. Russian International Affairs Council: Igor Ivanov, Is the All-Time Low in Russia-UK Relations behind?
28. Wall Street Journal: Tillerson Discusses Conflict Zones in Call With Russia. Tensions over Ukraine, North Korea reflect a broader debate over East-West dialogue.
29. Valdai Dicussion Club: Pavel Sharikov, PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH: WHAT CHALLENGES THE USA FEARS?
30. Russia in Global Affairs: Sergei Karaganov, A World in Store. Foreign Policy on the Way to the Future.
31. Russia in Global Affairs: Dmitry Trenin, To Understand Ukraine. A New Stage in the Russian State Project.