RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-241 :: Tuesday, 26 December 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#241
Tuesday, 26 December 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Moscow Times: Majority of Russians Regret Soviet Collapse, Poll Says.
2. www.rt.com: Number of Russians who regret collapse of USSR hits 10-year high.
3. TASS: Russians revere military more, want family members to serve in armed forces – poll.
4. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, A pastoral lost: the withering of Russia’s old Soviet farms and villages. State farms like Komsomolskoye were once building blocks of the Soviet system, and heirs to Russia’s ancient village culture. But today they are almost ghost towns, with mere handfuls of pensioners still calling them home – risking the loss of a whole way of life.
5. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Federal Assembly leaders.
6. www.rt.com: Putin clears first stage in 2018 presidential race.
7. AP: Kremlin: Russia Election Boycott Campaign May Be Illegal.
8. TASS: Russia’s electoral commission nixes Navalny’s bid for presidential run due to conviction.
9. Meduza: ‘I don’t like the Central Election Commission’ Alexey Navalny’s speech to the government officials who moments later barred him from Russia’s 2018 presidential election. (full translation)
10. www.rt.com: Bryan MacDonald, If Navalny were able to enter Russia’s election, it’d be better for everyone, except him.
11. TASS: Everything you need to know about presidential election in Russia.
12. Reuters: Russia’s Putin Calls for Web Activities of Some Firms to Be Monitored.
13. TASS: Russia’s law on NGOs acting as foreign agents may be improved – Putin.
14. www.rt.com: US exerts much stricter control over ‘foreign agent’ media outlets than Russia – Putin.
15. TASS: Kommersant: US file on Russian political, business figures may be prelude to financial sanctions.
16. Russian International Affairs Council: Andrey Kortunov and Ivan Timofeev, Russia’s Foreign Policy: Looking Towards 2018. Summary.
17. TASS: Russian security chief accuses Washington of slipping into Cold War mentality.
18. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrew Kuchins, 2017: A LOST YEAR FOR U.S.-RUSSIA RELATIONS.
19. Valdai Discussion Club: Alexei Mukhin, NEW US NATIONAL SECURITY STRATEGY: AN INFORMATION BOMB? The new US National Security Strategy is an interesting but contradictory document.
20. The National Interest: Nikolai Sokov, The Russification of U.S. Deterrence Policy. After a quarter-century monopoly on such capabilities, the United States finds itself essentially in the same predicament that the Russians or Chinese have faced since the end of the Cold War.
21. www.rt.com: Russia begins development of Syrian bases to host nuclear warships & warplanes.
22. TASS: Kommersant: US military supplies to Kiev unable to change balance of forces in Donbass.
23. TASS: Ukraine celebrates Christmas December 25 nationwide for first time.
24. Awful Avalanche: Ukrainian Dual Historiographies – Part I.
25. Awful Avalanche: Ukrainian Dual Historiographies – Part II.
26. Newsweek.com: TRUMP IMPEACHMENT MAY NEED ‘SMOKING GUN’ TO SUCCEED, DEMOCRATS BELIEVE.
27. Washington Post: Michael Morell and Mike Rogers, Russia never stopped its cyberattacks on the United States.
28. Washington Post: Kremlin trolls burned across the Internet as Washington debated options.
29. Washington Post: Inside a Russian disinformation campaign in Ukraine in 2014.
30. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, FBI’s Russiagate strategy: Stonewall until next year’s Congressional elections. FBI plays for time as credibility of Trump Dossier on which Russiagate investigation based collapses.
31. www.rt.com: Lavrov: US overreliance on strength undermines its own diplomacy.
32. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s interview with RT, Moscow, December 25, 2017.