RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-237 :: Wednesday, 20 December 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#237
Wednesday, 20 December 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Awful Avalanche: Father Frost Caught In Bitcoin Scandal!
2. AP: Putin: Public Man Who Is Reserved Even by Russian Standards.
3. RFE/RL: Launching Campaign, Putin Says Russia’s ‘Stability’ Crucial.
4. www.rt.com: Liberal Democrats approve longtime leader Zhirinovsky as presidential candidate for 2018 race.
5. Vedomosti: Poll suggests new desire for change among Russians.
6. TASS: More than 83% of Russian voters to support Putin as president – poll.
7. TASS: Putin views promoting mortgages and lowering interest rates as essential.
8. Vesti.ru: Out of Ashes of the 90’s, a New Generation of Youth Rises Ready to Rebuild Russia.
9. The National Interest: George Beebe, Thank You for Sharing: A Rare Counterterror Win for U.S.-Russian Relations. The United States and Russia remain capable of limited cooperation in areas where their interests overlap, despite their deep mutual suspicions.
10. Asia Times: M.K. Bhadrakumar, In from the cold: CIA gesture indicates thawing US-Russia ties.
11. Interfax: Law on foreign-agent media to affect owners of sites with info disseminated with foreign funding.
12. The Economist: Notes from the undertaker. Russia’s dysfunctional funeral business gets a makeover. A shoot-out at a cemetery and the government’s need for revenue prompt reform of an often corrupt sector.
13. Bloomberg: There’s Still a Huge Influx of Foreign Cash to Russia.
14. www.rt.com: Best year for Russian IPOs since 2011 signals return of bullish sentiment to country.
15. Moscow Times: Nabi Abdullaev, Russia’s Top 4 Business Risks in 2018 . Sanctions, infighting between the elite and popular protests could all make Russia a more difficult place for foreign business next year.
16. Intellinews.com: Russia opens up the icy Northeast Sea Route transport route to Asia.
17. Bloomberg: Putin’s Mr. OPEC Becomes an Oil Market Player. After the deal with OPEC, Russia’s energy minister is now as closely watched as his Saudi counterpart. Alexander Novak)
18. www.opendemocracy.net: Mikhail Kaluzhsky, Arseny Roginsky: Giving Russia its history back.On 18 December, Arseny Roginsky, historian, dissident and one of the founders of Russia’s Memorial society, passed away. He will be sorely missed.
19. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, Russians Worried Of Secret ‘Blacklist’ Launching In February.
20. TASS: Russian Foreign Ministry describes US’ new national security strategy as confrontational.
21. TASS: Russian security chief comments on US National Security Strategy.
22. Eurasianet.org: Joseph Kucera, US Signals Return to Great Power Competition in Eurasia.
23. www.rt.com: Danielle Ryan, Trump’s national security strategy proves US foreign policy never really changes.
24. Russian International Affairs Council: Luca Ratti, Reviving NATO-Russia relations 50 years after the Harmel report. (excerpt)
25. The Cipher Brief: COLIN P. CLARKE AND WILLIAM COURTNEY, Russia Trapped in Syria.
26. European Leadership Network: Thomas Graham, It’s not Time to Arm Ukraine.
27. Fort Russ: Eduard Popov, War on the Horizon? Russian aides pressured out of Donbass peacekeeping.
28. Reuters: Ukraine, allies fear escalation after Russia exits ceasefire group.
29. Valdai Discussion Club: Mikhail Pogrebinsky, UKRAINE 2017 – THE ROAD TO DEADLOCK.
30. Washington Post: Long journeys and unforgettable encounters: Foreign correspondents share their most memorable tales. (excerpt re Russia)
31. www.rt.com: Bryan MacDonald, Newsweek’s claim Putin is planning World War 3 is completely fake.
32. New York Times: Thomas Friedman, Merry Christmas, Vladimir – Your Friend, Donald.