RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-230 :: Monday, 11 December 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#230
Monday, 11 December 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. The National Interest: Nicolai Petrov, Congress Has Chosen the Wrong Strategy to Deal with Russia. It is the playbook that Ronald Reagan used during his first two years in office, and then decisively rejected.
2. TASS: Putin has yet to decide if he plans to be party candidate or independent – Kremlin.
3. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Russia’s Presidential Election 2018.
4. Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI): Reactions To Putin’s Announcement That He Is Running For A Fourth Term.
5. AP: In Putin’s Heartland, Apathy and Disappointment Rule.
6. Bear Market Brief: 80% of entrepreneurs report facing corruption.
7. Sputnik: President Vladimir Putin’s Highlights in Office.
8. New York Times: Putin’s Re-election Is Assured. Let the Succession Fight Begin.
9. Washington Times: Marc Bennetts, Putin supporters in Russia welcome another term for hard line against ‘cruel’ West.
10. The Atlantic: Julia Ioffe, What Putin Really Wants. Russia’s strongman president has many Americans convinced of his manipulative genius. He’s really just a gambler who won big.
11. Washington Post: David Filipov, I didn’t get banned from the Russian State Duma, so I went there. Here’s what I found. A look inside Russia’s lower house of Parliament.
12. Intersection: Sergey Zhavoronkov, Two Lean Years: Russia’s Budget for 2018-20. A worrying few years lie ahead for Russia’s economy. The Russian government is cash-strapped at both national and regional levels, and it will be education, health, wages and welfare that take the hit. High military spending is set to continue.
13. RFE/RL: Putin Grants Alekseyeva State Award For Human Rights.
14. AP: Russia Says Its Athletes Want to Compete at the Olympics.
15. www.rt.com: Moscow flash mob shows support for Russian athletes amid IOC ban.
16. Moscow Times: What do Regular Russians Think of the IOC’s Olympic Doping Ban?
17. Washington Post: Michael McFaul, Putin is to blame for the tragedy of Russia’s Olympics ban.
18. Sputnik: Rodchenkov’s Revelations are All About Narcissism’ – Russian Athletes’ Lawyer.
19. Intellinews.com: FDI into Russia rose in in the first half to $17bn.
20. Russia Insider: Paul Goncharoff, The China-Russia-Canada-America Train / Tunnel Link? The ‘peace dividend’ was supposed to allow for projects with a positive economic future, like this one.
21. TASS: Moscow State University Russia’s only college in first national academic rating’s top 50.
22. Moscow Times: U.S. Consulates Resume Visa Services in Russia.
23. www.rt.com: 50% say Sex Pests part of Hollywood’s everyday life – Russian poll.
24. Valdai Discussion Club: CYBERSOVEREIGNTY WILL BECOME A PREREQUISITE FOR THE CREATION OF A GLOBAL CONVENTION ON SECURITY IN CYBERSPACE.
25. TASS: Diplomat reminds Western partners about their ‘success’ in Iraq, Libya and Afghanistan.
26. Bear Market Brief: For Syria pullouts, third time may be the charm.
27. Wall Street Journal: Putin Declares Victory in Surprise Stopover in Syria. Visit marks mission-accomplished moment for Russian leader months ahead of presidential election.
28. Valdai Discussion Club: Alexander Vorontsov, READY FOR PEACE OR WAR: CAN ESCALATION ON THE KOREAN PENINSULA BE HALTED?
29. TASS: US may lose in military conflict with Russia, China – US think tank.
30. Financial Times: US says it may restart intermediate nuclear missile development. Threat in response to alleged Russian breach of Cold War INF treaty.
31. www.rt.com: If US withdraws from INF treaty, Russia will have to respond in kind – deputy FM.
32. The American Conservative: Daniel Larison, Is Rapprochement with Russia Still Possible? Trump can’t make a move without being seen as a bag man for Putin.
33. Washington Times: Edward and Tatiana Lozansky, Deplorables and Useful Idiots for Peace.
34. The Guardian (UK): The high cost of wrecking the Soviet Union. Will Goble compares the west’s approach to Germany after the second world war with its treatment of Russia after the collapse of communism.
35. www.rt.com: Ukraine is Europe’s poorest nation with $220 average monthly wage.
36. Fort Russ: 92% of Ukrainians vote in favour of the return of the previous government.
37. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, The media’s war against Donald Trump. The successive false ABC, CNN and WaPo stories show that on the subject of Donald Trump the media has thrown fact-checking out of the window.
38. Beitbart.com: Rep. Jim Jordan Asks FBI Director: Did Peter Strzok Use the Dossier to Get Spy Warrant on Trump Campaign?
39. Wall Street Journal editorial: Christopher Wray’s FBI Stonewall. The new director hides behind a phony excuse for refusing to answer Congress’s questions.The new director hides behind a phony excuse for refusing to answer Congress’s questions.
40. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Strzok-gate and the Mueller cover-up. Peter Strzok’s sacking points to Trump Dossier and exposes the true scandal of the 2016 election.
41. New York Times: What Is the ‘Russia Story’? Confused by all the news about Russia and the 2016 presidential election? We are here to help.
42. The Atlantic: How Russia Hacked America-And Why It Will Happen Again. (video)
43. Awful Avalanche: The Triumphant Return Of This One Russian Episode – Preface. (excerpt)
The Triumphant Return Of This One Russian Episode – Preface