RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-227 :: Friday, 1 December 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#227
Friday, 1 December 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. PONARS Eurasia: Debra Javeline and Sarah Lindemann-Komarova, Indigenously Funded Russian Civil Society.
2. Deutsche Welle: Russians slowly falling in love with football as World Cup draw nears. Ahead of hosting the World Cup, excitement among football fans in Russia is growing with all eyes on Friday’s draw. Moscow has been spruced up for the draw and next year’s tournament.
3. www.rt.com: Russia will do everything it can to make World Cup 2018 a grandiose sports festival – Putin.
4. TASS: 32 finalists learn group pairings as 2018 FIFA World Cup Draw ends in Kremlin.
5. AFP: Russian PM says poverty is ‘glaring problem’ in country.
6. Vesti.ru: Medvedev Throws United Russia Party Support Behind Putin and Upholds Constitutionality of Putin’s Candidacy.
7. Government.ru: In Conversation with Dmitry Medvedev: Interview with five television channels.
8. New York Times: Seeking Russian Presidency, Socialite Hits the Campaign Trail. (Ksenia Sobchak)
9. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Mikhail Rostovsky, Shuvalov in china shop: How deputy prime minister reveals Kremlin’s secret; serious problem concealed behind joke.
10. Wall Street Journal: Now That’s a Fashion Statement for the Olympics: “RUSSIANS DID IT!” Amid doping scandal, the Russian Olympic Committee is touting a line of sportswear that seems to poke fun at the allegations.
11. Moscow Times: Michele Berdy, The Winds of Russian Change.
12. Vesti.ru: Russian Government Launches Fertility Program to Encourage Higher Birth Rates.
13. Financial Times: Russia faulted for HIV epidemic that bucks global trend. Infection and death rates surge in spread from drug users to general population.
14. TASS: Russian PM advises public to keep savings in rubles.
15. www.rt.com: Oil prices jump as Russia & OPEC agree to extend production cut to end of 2018.
16. TASS: Vedomosti: OPEC+ extends oil cap deal to end of 2018.
17. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, An end to the treaty that ended the cold war? US-Russia spat puts INF at risk. Washington and Moscow accuse each other of violating the landmark nuclear arms treaty severely enough that it could collapse. If it does, the sense of safety that it brought to Europe – the region primarily in range of the weapons the treaty bans – could evaporate as well.
18. The Nation: James Carden, Former Defense Secretary William Perry Sounds the Alarm Over the Present Nuclear Danger. What will the consequences be if the bipartisan consensus on Russia continues to be almost completely untethered from reality?
19. Wall Street Journal: Ray Arnaudo, World peace reigns in both the Arctic and the Antarctic.
20. New York Times: Andrew Kramer, Russia, U.S. and Other Nations Restrict Fishing in Thawing Arctic.
21. Valdai Discussion Club: Ivan Timofeev, IN CHINA’S FOOTSTEPS: WHY THE RUSSIAN BEAR SHOULD ENTER STEALTH MODE.
22. www.rt.com: Russia won’t be surprised by war in North Korea, it’s been preparing for it – Security Council head.
23. The National Interest: Lyle Goldstein, Russia Isn’t Going Away in Ukraine. The developing escalation spiral needs to be halted before it ends in total catastrophe.
24. Rethinking Russia: Pietro A. Shakarian, A Delicate Balancing Act: Russia, Turkey, and the Kurds.
25. Vesti.ru: Publication of Rodchenkov’s Journal Raises Doubts About Veracity of Doping Claims.
26. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, Russia’s Biggest Media Company Kicked Out Of Washington.
27. www.rt.com: Russian lower house to ban access to all US reporters – lawmaker.
28. Washington Post: Andrew Roth, Russia rolls out plan to bar American media from parliament in RT retaliation.
29. www.rt.com: Bryan MacDonald, Donald Trump is not to blame for dreadful Western media coverage of Russia.
30. The Economist: Red mist. How the Russia investigation looks from Moscow. Hyperventilating about Vladimir Putin infuriates Russian liberals, but it has led to a better Russia policy.
31. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 30 NOVEMBER 2017.
RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 30 NOVEMBER 2017
32. The Unz Review: The Saker, Progress Report on the US-Russian War.
33. Washington Post editorial: Rename the block in front of the Russian Embassy. Name it after the dissident Boris Nemtsov, as a D.C. Council measure proposes.
34. Washington Post: Jared Genser, Ban Russia from the Olympics.