RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-226 :: Thursday, 30 November 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#226
Thursday, 30 November 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. TASS: Russia’s chief meteorologist says this year proves ongoing global warming.
2. Reuters: Soccer-World Cup Draw Offers Welcome Distraction for Russia.
3. www.rt.com: United Russia party to support Putin in presidential race – Medvedev.
4. TASS: PM Medvedev says not viewing himself as Russian presidential candidate.
5. Bear Market Brief: New Times: Medvedev staying put.
6. Bloomberg: Before Election, Putin Offers $8.6 Billion to Russians to Have More Babies.
7. Bear Market Brief: Maternal capital, electoral branding.
8. RFE/RL: Putin’s Payouts For Firstborn Babies Seen As Popular Preelection Move, But No Cure For Looming Demographic Slump.
10. Russia Matters: David Szakonyi, Centrifugal Forces: Why Russian Oligarchs Remain Loyal to the Putin Government.
11. TASS: Kremlin not aware Russia’s business elite allegedly ‘blamed’ Putin for sanctions’ impact.
12. Reuters: For Some Russian Oligarchs, Sanctions Risk Makes Putin Awkward to Know.
13. Russia Beyond: Out and about: Where are Putin’s favorite haunts?
14. Paul Goble: Neither Russians nor the West Understand the Full Dimensions of What’s Happening in Moscow, Gudkov Says.
15. Carnegie Moscow Center: Andrey Pertsev, Russia’s Regions Strike Back: Provincial Leaders Want More From Moscow.
16. 7X7/Russian Reader: Käppäselgä: A Godforsaken Corner of a Would-Be Superpower. Resident of Karelian Village Käppäselgä: My House Might Not Survive the Winter
17. Bear Market Brief: World Bank finds 50% of Russians “economically vulnerable”
18. Financial Review: Russia seen harvesting 128.2m tonnes of grain in 2018.
19. Russia Insider: ‘Russian Media Are Very Diverse’ – a Veteran Russian Pundit Explains (Dmitry Babich). A long, wide-ranging chinwag with a great Russian journalist who is never dull.
20. Foreignpolicy.com: Amie Ferris-Rotman, Donald Trump Has Been Torture for Foreign Correspondents in Russia. The Russia stories everyone wants aren’t the ones people in Russia can provide.
21. AP: Russia Signals Rainbow Flags Tolerated at World Cup.
22. TASS: Russia-US atmosphere ‘getting ugly’ though Trump is decent politician – PM Medvedev.
23. TASS: Doping scandals turned into tool of political pressure on Russia – PM Medvedev.
24. Russian International Affairs Council: Sergei Kislyak on Russia-U.S. Relations: It takes Two to Tango.
25. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, SOVIET ART BREAKS THE BANK.
26. www.rt.com: Russia preparing to withdraw military contingent from Syria – security chief.
27. www.rt.com: US should come clean if it’s looking for pretext to destroy N. Korea – Russian FM Lavrov.
28. Valdai Discussion Club: Gleb Ivashentsov, HWASONG-15 MISSILE: WHAT’S NEXT?
29. The Diplomat: Samuel Ramani, Russia’s Soft Power Push in Afghanistan. Investment in Afghan economic development is part of a strategy to rebrand Russia’s image in Afghanistan.
30. www.rt.com: Ukraine’s economy shrinks by 20% without access to Russian market.
31. Sean’s Russia Blog Broadcast: The Epic of the House of Government. (with Yuri Slezkine)
32. Valdai Discussion Club: David Lane, THE END OF OCTOBER: YET ANOTHER CLASS VICTORY?
33. AP: Moscow mulls next move in escalating media spat with US.
34. The Guardian (UK): US ‘orchestrated’ Russian spies scandal, says Kaspersky founder. Eugene Kaspersky, head of Kaspersky Labs, hits out at FBI, media and government actors he claims organised a smear campaign.
35. Sputnik: DHS Official Confirms There Were No Russian Hacking Attacks During 2016 Election.
36. http://theduran.com: Washington Post employee caught on hidden camera admitting Trump-Russia story is a “crap shoot” (Video)