RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-221 :: Tuesday, 21 November 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#221
Tuesday, 21 November 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Carnegie Moscow Center: ALEXANDER BAUNOV and THOMAS DE WAAL, Red Scares, Then and Now.
2. Motherboard: Eric Schmidt Says Google News Will ‘Engineer’ Russian Propaganda Out of the Feed. “It’s basically RT and Sputnik,” he said on Saturday.
3. www.rt.com: Google will ‘de-rank’ RT articles to make them harder to find – Eric Schmidt.
4. World Socialist Web Site: Google’s new search protocol is restricting access to 13 leading socialist, progressive and anti-war web sites. (excerpt)
5. Vesti.ru: Exclusive: Russia Today Boss Showcases Secret ‘KGB’ Operation at TV Channel HQ.
6. http://russiafeed.com: Adam Garrie, In 2011 Russia was a passenger on a runaway train – in 2017 Russia is a geo-political driver. While many see Russia’s broader recovery as taking place between the year 2000 and the present day, in reality Russia’s geo-political revival began as recently as 2014.
7. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Russia Elections 2018: Will Putin Even Run?
8. Interfax: Putin’s press conference due to take place on Dec 14 – Kremlin.
9. Vedomosti: Daily views former finance minister’s ties with Putin’s election office. (Kudrin)
10. Vedomosti: Russian paper sees Sobchak as ‘post-populist’ candidate.
11. www.rt.com: Kadyrov finds way to free Russia of ‘Stalin’s spirit’
12. www.rt.com: Warm embrace: Assad in surprise Putin meeting ahead of Moscow’s talks with Turkey, Iran.
13. Wall Street Journal: Russia Charts a Course for Syria’s Future. Putin will meet Iran, Turkey leaders ahead of U.N. talks; Erdogan says ‘we have a common view’
14. The National Interest: Leon Hadar, The Real Winner in America’s Russia Crisis Is China. The continuing American obsession with Russia plays directly into Beijing’s hands and makes it less likely that Washington will develop an effective strategy to deal with China.
15. PONARS Eurasia: Sarah Wilson Sokhey, Russian Studies is Thriving at ASEEES.
16. PONARS Eurasia: Regina Smyth, Tips from the Experts: Bridging the Scholarship-Policy Divide.
17. The American Interest: Peter Pomerantsev, Beware the Russian Elephant. (excerpt)
18. Consortiumnews.com: Robert Parry, The Lost Journalistic Standards of Russia-gate. The Russia-gate hysteria has witnessed a widespread collapse of journalistic standards as major U.S. news outlets ignore rules about how to treat evidence in dispute.
19. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Russiagate continues to unravel as Goldstone confirms Trump Junior’s account of Veselnitskaya meeting. British promoter backs Trump Junior on Veselnitskaya meeting as The Atlantic proved to have wrongly edited Wikileaks’ email