RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-219 :: Friday, 17 November 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#219
Friday, 17 November 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Russia Beyond: 10 things that only Russians understand. Even if you’ve lived in Russia for many years, and even if you already like dill and can drink vodka without getting drunk, there are some aspects of Russians’ every day behavioral code that are hard to understand. But we’ll try to explain.
2. AFP: Ukraine seeks distance from Moscow with new Christmas holiday.
3. Interfax: It is yet unclear whether Putin to run for re-election – Peskov.
4. www.rt.com: Medvedev after Putin? Kremlin urges caution over presidential election rumors.
5. Bear Market Brief: The Eye of Sauron.
6. TASS: RBC: Center for Strategic Research charts course for streamlining government reform.
7. Meduza: It’s not just anecdotal: the U.S. is rejecting more and more visa requests from Russians.
8. The Nation: Aaron Mate, RT Was Forced to Register as a Foreign Agent. And too many free-speech advocates and journalists have been silent about it.
9. www.rt.com: OSCE condemns labeling media as ‘foreign agents’ – but only after Russia did it.
10. Sputnik: US Media in Russia Promote Opposition Exclusively – RT Editor-in-Chief.
11. Russia Insider: The RT Studios in Washington DC – Russian TV News Drops by For a Chat. An interesting glimpse into the people who make RT America happen on daily basis
12. Human Rights Watch: Russia: Reject ‘Foreign Agents’ Media Bill. Tramples on Free Press.
13. AP Interview: Russia must be more tolerant, candidate says. (Ksenia Sobchak)
14. TASS: Russian politician scraps opposition coalition plan. (Mikhail Kasyanov)
15. www.rt.com: Russian education minister pledges support for students’ initiatives targeting HIV threat.
16. Moscow Times: José Luis Castro and Michel Kazatchkine, Ending Tuberculosis Starts in Moscow . A meeting of the world’s health ministers in Moscow this week could prove to be a pivotal moment on the road to ending tuberculosis.
17. www.rt.com: Putin wants to keep foreign shipping out of Russia’s Northern Sea Route.
18. Financial Times: Paul Gould, How Russia’s film-makers are playing Hollywood at its own game. Alien invaders and home-grown superheroes challenge the country’s reputation for art-house high-mindedness.
19. Fort Russ: Igor Skripach, US big nightmare: an energy-independent Europe — with Russian help.
20. www.inquisitr.com: THE KEY TO DISARMING RUSSIAN ‘SOFT POWER’: AN INTERVIEW WITH FOREIGN & SECURITY POLICY EXPERT BOBO LO.
21. Valdai Discussion Club: Sergey Samuilov, NATO AND THE IMAGINARY RUSSIAN THREAT.
22. Rossiyskaya Gazeta> Russian academic interviewed on future of nuclear deterrence. (Sergey Karaganov)
23. Valdai Discussion Club: Steven Pifer, VALDAI PAPER #78: ARMS CONTROL, SECURITY COOPERATION AND U.S.-RUSSIAN RELATIONS.
24. Wall Street Journal: Pentagon Moves to Develop Banned Intermediate Missile. Washington is raising pressure on Russia, saying it is violating an arms control treaty.
25. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 16 NOVEMBER 2017.
RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 16 NOVEMBER 2017
26. Russia Reviewed: Review: Bears in the Streets: Three Journeys Across a Changing Russia by Lisa Dickey.
27. Russian International Affairs Council: Nikita Smagin, Trio in Tehran.
28. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Foreign Involvement in February 2014 Maidan Terrorist Sniper Attack.
29. Intellinews.com: Michael Henderson and Daragh McDowell, Has Ukraine finally turned the corner?
30. The Guardian (UK): Alexey Kovalev, Here’s what Russians think: Brexit is your creature – don’t blame it on us. Russian trolling had little effect on the referendum outcome – it was like pouring a bucket of water into the ocean.
31. Sputnik: ‘Hostility Between US and Russia Won’t End Until Trump Leaves Office’ – Analyst. (Stephen Ebert)
32. Consortiumnews.com: Russia-gate Spreads to Europe. The Russia-gate hysteria has jumped the Atlantic with Europeans blaming Russia for Brexit and Catalonian discontent. But what about Israeli influence operations or, for that matter, American ones, asks Robert Parry.
33. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, This scandal should be investigated – and it’s not Russiagate. Special Counsel should look into the conduct of the US intelligence community and how it tried to swing the election to Hillary Clinton and away from Donald Trump.
34. Washington Post: Pussy Riot’s new show will make you feel what it’s like to be in a Russian prison.
35. Washington Post:Here are some of the craziest fake stories that Russia launched in the past three weeks Washington Post
36. Washington Post: The European parties accused of being influenced by Russia.
37. Slate.com: The Kremlin Defense Fund. Russian money might have gone to Trump’s legal fees.
38. Washington Post: The Russia investigation’s spectacular accumulation of lies
39 New York Times: A Different Russian Doping Scandal Hits Richmond, Va.
40. Jacobin: Alexander Rabinowitch, How the Bolsheviks Won. The Bolsheviks’ rise to power, one hundred years ago today, revisited.