RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-218 :: Thursday, 16 November 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#218
Thursday, 16 November 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. www.rt.com: Two-thirds of Russians feel incapable of changing domestic situation, poll shows.
2. www.rt.com: Russia notifies Radio Free Europe & Voice of America about possible foreign agent recognition.
3. Meduza: ‘You can always expect retaliatory measures from Moscow’ Deputy Duma Speaker Pyotr Tolstoy explains Russia’s new legislation against ‘foreign agents’ in the news media.
4. Russia Insider: RT Chief Margarita Simonyan Spends Entire Hour Ridiculing US Harassment of Her Journalists. She also dispels accusations that she controls and manipulates the Pokemon along with a plethora of other slanders hurled at her.
5. TASS: Diplomat takes on ‘baffled’ questions about media’s fate in Russia in light of new law.
6. Moscow Times: Evan Gershkovich, Russia’s New Law Against Foreign Media ‘Won’t Even Work.’ New amendments targeting U.S. media could implicate news organizations from other countries too.
7. Intellinews.com: Mark Galeotti, The importance of Russia’s unimportant prime minister. (re Dmitri Medvedev)
8. www.rt.com: Liberal presidential hopeful Yavlinsky says victory is not a priority.
9. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, MACHIAVELLI’S THIRTEEN RULES FOR THE SUCCESSFUL RULER – TWO VLADIMIR PUTIN DID LEARN; ELEVEN HE DIDN’T, NOT YET.
10. New York Times: A Star on Washington’s Ice With a No. 1 Fan at the Kremlin. (re Alexander Ovechkin)
11. TASS: Most Russians support Ovechkin’s idea to set up Putin Team movement – poll.
12. Russian Analytical Digest (RAD): No. 210: Political Mobilization in the Run-Up to the Presidential Elections.
13. Interfax: Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature – Maria Romanova.
14. Bear Market Brief: Sberbank says middle class doing better.
15. Bear Market Brief: Report: Russian household wealth sits at 2006 level.
16. Intellinews.com: Chris Weafer, Six reasons why Russia does not want a higher oil price.
17. TASS: Izvestia: Russia increases oil reserves to 15 bln tonnes.
18. Bloomberg: Russia Says Its Debt Markets Can Withstand the Shock of Sanctions.
19. www.rt.com: WADA foundation board declares Russian anti-doping agency ‘non-compliant’ with international code.
20. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Sushentsov, THE PARADOXES OF RUSSIAN-US RELATIONS.
21. Russia Matters: Nikolas Gvosdev, Latest US-Russian Effort on Syria: Good for Preventing Accidents, So-So for Everything Else.
22. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Afghanistan wants to ditch Soviet legacy.
23. Asia Times: M.K. BHADRAKUMAR, Through night vision goggles, Afghan conflict becoming a proxy war. The US wants to exclude Russia and Iran from everything concerning Afghanistan. It may not have a choice.
24. Valdai Discussion Club: Georgy Toloraya, THE GOLDEN JUBILEE: WHAT ASEAN MEANS FOR THE WORLD AND RUSSIA.
25. Kremlin.ru: Vladimir Putin supported Viktor Medvedchuk’s proposed prisoner exchange between Ukraine and Donetsk and Lugansk republics.
26. RFE/RL: Putin Speaks Directly To Separatist Leaders, Presses Prisoner Swap.
27. TASS: Putin’s sway on Donbass overestimated – Kremlin.
28. Facebook: Ivan Katchanovski, Maidan Massacre Bombshell.
29. Fort Russ: Yurasumi, Plot twist: Russia wins from a pro-American President in Ukraine.
30. www.rt.com: Magnitsky Act mastermind seeks to stop Cyprus from revealing his offshore assets to Russia. (re William Browder)
31. Valdai Discussion Club: DOMINIC LIEVEN ON THE OCTOBER REVOLUTION. (video)
32. Wall Street Journal: Daniel Henninger, Bonfire of the Prosecutors. Political animosities are pushing the U.S. toward a significant political crisis.
33. Foxnews.com: Rep. Mark Meadows, A special counsel must investigate the Russia dossier, explain why Obama’s FBI was involved.
34. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Simpler Explanations Are Usually Correct. Even on Russia. Recent revelations have simple, credible explanations that are overshadowed by conspiracy theories and hype.
35. Alternet.org: Max Blumenthal, McCarthyism Inc: Introducing the Counter-Terror ‘Experts’ Hyping Russian Threats and Undermining Our Civil Liberties. Revelations about Russia’s use of social media in the 2016 elections are being used as a pretext for suppressing dissent by some dubious characters.
36. The Nation: Stephen Cohen, ‘Russiagate’ Zealots (Mainly Democrats) Have Become a Major Threat to US National Security. At an international summit in Vietnam last week, President Trump took necessary steps to reduce the perils of the new Cold War with Russia. Liberal Democrats call it “treasonous.”
37. The Chronicle of Higher Education: Jordan Michael Smith, Is This Professor ‘Putin’s American Apologist’? How Stephen F. Cohen became the most controversial Russia expert in America.
38. The Guardian (UK): Luke Harding, The long read. How Trump walked into Putin’s web. The inside story of how a former British spy was hired to investigate Russia’s influence on Trump – and uncovered explosive evidence that Moscow had been cultivating Trump for years.
39. www.rt.com: The Atlantic edits WikiLeaks’ DMs with Trump Jr to smear it as ‘pro-Russia’ source.
40. Bloomberg: Balance of Power: Russian Election Meddling Fears Invade Europe.
41. New York Times: A Radioactive Cloud Wafts Over Europe, With Russia as Chief Suspect.