RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-217 :: Wednesday, 15 November 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#217
Wednesday, 15 November 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. TASS: Bomb scare wave sweeping Moscow came from abroad – Moscow police chief.
2. Moscow Times: Oleg Kashin, Independent Journalists in Russia Will Have to Live Without Their Western Role Models . The Western media’s controversial reporting is affecting independent journalism in Russia.
3. PONARS Eurasia: Study: U.S. Sanctions Hurting Russians’ Support for US, not Kremlin.
4. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER.
5. Carnegie Moscow Center: Konstantin Gaaze, Taking the Plunge: Russia’s New Managerial Class. Russian new regional governors are being given a version of Western-style management training perfected by Sberbank boss German Gref. They are like managerial special ops forces deployed behind enemy lines by Moscow.
6. PONARS Eurasia: Could Election Fraud Backfire on the Kremlin in 2018?
7. PONARS Eurasia: Marlene Laruelle, The Kremlin’s Ideological Ecosystems: Equilibrium and Competition. (excerpt)
8. www.opendemocracy.net: Tanya Lokshina, A hyperlink to absurdity. The implementation of the Kremlin’s law on “undesirable organisations” is reaching farcical proportions.
9. www.rt.com: EU red tape tying up Russian gas pipeline could be attempt to sabotage project – PM Medvedev.
10. Interfax: Russia’s defense spending tops 5.3% of GDP, near $70 bln – PwC.
11. Moscow Times: Hajo Seppelt, Russia Should Stop Playing the Doping Scandal Victim . Instead, Russia’s leadership should fully accept the facts.
12. www.rt.com: ‘Russia fulfilled all WADA criteria, should be reinstated’ – Sports Minister Kolobkov.
13. Russia Insider: Michael Bateman, Putin Suspects CIA Involvement in Russian Doping Scandal. Moscow is requesting the US extradites a Russian criminal with a suspicious involvement in the doping scandals. (excerpt)
14. Reuters: Factbox-List of Countries Qualified for the 2018 World Cup.
15. www.rt.com: Russian MPs pass foreign agent bill for media in ‘mirror response’ to US.
16. TASS: Russia’s State Duma passes amendments to foreign agent media law.
17. www.rt.com: ‘Condolences to journalists’: RT editor-in-chief on Russia’s mirror-response bill on foreign media.
18. RFE/RL: Russian Duma Approves Restrictions On Foreign Media.
19. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Russia’s RT Just Isn’t Worth Attacking. A symbolic act by Washington is triggering a disproportionate response from Moscow.
20. The Nation: Katrina vanden Heuvel, Registering the Cable Channel RT as a Foreign Agent Is a Threat to Press Freedom. Stigmatizing Russian broadcasting is the latest unnecessary escalation in the new Cold War.
21. Interfax: Peskov on computer game’s screenshot in Defense Ministry’s material: mistakes happen, rapidly corrected.
22. Valdai Discussion Club: Steven Heydemann, FROM DE-ESCALATION TO DIPLOMACY IN SYRIA: RUSSIA CONFRONTS A DILEMMA.
23. TASS: Kommersant: Moscow works to reconcile Tripoli and southern Libyan tribes.
24. The National Interest: Samuel Ramini, Russia’s next Power Play May Occur in Yemen. Moscow can be an effective mediator in the conflict.
25. Asia Times: Russia’s ‘pivot to Asia’ hinges on the Korean Peninsula. Russia expert James DJ Brown believes Moscow genuinely supports ‘denuclearization’ but has an overriding fear of a disorderly collapse of Kim Jong-un’s regime.
26. Paul Goble: New Report Documents Explosive Growth of Islam in Four Central Asian Countries.
27. Government.ru: Dmitry Medvedev’s news conference following the 31st ASEAN Summit and the 12th East Asia Summit. (excerpt re Trump)
28. Valdai Discussion Club: Sergey Samuilov, WILL THE ‘RUSSIAN TRACE’ LEAD TO TRUMP’S IMPEACHMENT?
29. Consortiumnews.com: Robert Parry, America’s Righteous Russia-gate Censorship. Arriving behind the anti-Trump “resistance” and the Russia-gate “scandal” is a troubling readiness to silence dissent in the U.S., shutting down information that challenges Official Narratives.
30. www.zerohedge.com: How to Instantly Prove (Or Disprove) Russian Hacking of U.S. Election. (excerpt)
31. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Another ‘nothing burger’: the Donald Trump Junior/Wikileaks correspondence. Messages between Wikileaks and Donald Trump Junior are evidence of nothing.
32. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Another Special Counsel? The right way forward to investigate the real scandal of the US Presidential election. A new Special Counsel is needed to get a proper grip on an investigation which is going nowhere.
33. The Daily Mail (UK): Putin’s lying machine: Revealed, how Russia’s spewing out ruthless propaganda from a Moscow-funded TV station – right next to Westminster.
34. New York Times: Andrew Rosenthal, This is How Grown-Ups Deal With Putin.
35. www.rt.com: Breaking news! Russia funded Russian elections – BuzzFeed ‘secret finding’
36. Washington Post: Anne Midgette, The concert was about unity; the message was all Russian. (at the National Cathedral in Washington)
37. The Eurasia Center and the Eurasian Business Coalition: Washington Conference: DOING BUSINESS WITH THE EURASIAN ECONOMIC UNION: Improving East-West Relations.