RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-214 :: Friday, 10 November 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#214
Friday, 10 November 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Paul Goble: Surkov’s ‘Crisis of Hypocrisy’ Not Just in the West but in Russia Too, Inozemtsev Says.
2. RIA Novosti: Putin suggests US organised doping scandal to impede his re-election.
3. Vedomosti: Russian daily views role of regions in presidential campaign.
4. Euronews.com: What does the October Revolution mean to Russians of today?. Euronews talked to a Russian journalist about how the country looks at the events of 100 years ago. (Andrei Zolotov)
5. Stratfor.com: Russia Celebrates an Uncomfortable Centennial.
6. Paul Goble: Only 15 Percent of Russians are Politically Active, 10 Percent for the Regime and Five Against It, New Research Shows.
7. www.rt.com: Annual inflation in Russia hits new record low.
8. New York Times: Two Border Cities Share Russian History – and a Sharp European Divide.
9. Meduza: Russia will impose new restrictions on social media, in retaliation for RT’s foreign agent status in America.
10. AP: Editor: Russian TV Network Will Register as US Foreign Agent.
11. www.rt.com: Duma to prepare mirror response to US steps targeting RT – speaker.
12. Moscow Times: What You Need to Know About RT’s Pending Foreign Agent Registration. A law dating back to the 1930s could send U.S.-Russia relations spiraling.
13. Valdai Discussion Club: Keith Darden, RUSSIAN-AMERICAN RELATIONS: EXAGGERATED THREATS.
14. Interfax; NATO command’s restructuring focused on Russia standoff – Ambassador Grushko.
15. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, How U.S.-Russia Diplomacy Went Heavy Metal. In the new Cold War, pragmatic dialogue is out. Quoting Five Finger Death Punch is in.
16. AP: US Officials: Deal With Russia on Syria’s Future Is Near.
17. www.strategic-culture.org: Patrick Armstrong, The Riddle of the Potomac. (re Syria)
18. www.rt.com: JIM probe into Syria chemical attack fails ‘basic standards’ – Russia’s OPCW envoy.
19. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Russia, America, and the Consequences of Great Power Intervention in the Middle East.
20. Valdai Discussion Club: Daria Kazarinova, EU, RUSSIA AND THE ‘INGLORIOUS END’ OF CATALAN SELF-DETERMINATION.
21. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, The Roots of Russian Redstalgia. (excerpt)
22. Washington Time: Edward Lozansky, Let Trump be Trump. Ronald Reagan was Ronald Reagan.
23. The American Conservative: Andrew Bacevich, More ‘Fake News,’ Alas, From the New York Times. Manafort isn’t the only villain in this establishment fairy tale.
24. www.zerohedge.com: Tyler Durden, WikiLeaks Publishes CIA Hacking Tool Designed To “Impersonate” Russia’s Kaspersky Lab.
25. Wall Street Journal: Kimberley Strassel, Lifting the Steele Curtain. The Fusion GPS dossier was one of the dirtiest political tricks in U.S. history.
26. RFE/RL: Security Experts Chide West On ‘Limited, Weak’ Response To Russia.
27. www.sott.net: Rob Slane, Russell O’Phobe: The importance of effective scaremongering and keeping factual information out of your anti-Russia hit piece article.
28. The Hill: Lev Golinkin, The reality of neo-Nazis in Ukraine is far from Kremlin propaganda.
29. Kyiv Post: Poroshenko Leads Ukraine Offshore In Paradise Papers: Poroshenko lawyers deny charges.
30. Wall Street Journal: U.S. to Seek Russian Approval for Peacekeepers in Eastern Ukraine. U.S., Western officials hope Putin is seeking a way out of separatist conflict.
31. www.newcoldwar.org: Roger Ennis, More drumbeat for Western military intervention into Ukraine under the guise of ‘peacekeeping’