RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-211 :: Tuesday, 7 November 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#211
Tuesday, 7 November 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. www.rt.com: Social protests in Russia outnumber political ones 3:1 – research.
2. Moscow Times: 100 Years After Revolution, Protests in Russia Are on the Rise.
3. Interfax: Communist Party rally participants demand November 7 again be made public holiday again.
4. Interfax: U.S. threats pushing towards proliferation of nuclear weapon – Zyuganov.
5. Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC): Chris Brown, On centenary of Russian Revolution, young communists see value in old ideology. Young followers see a new mission for the Communist Party – rooting out corruption.
6. TASS: Izvestia: Centennial of Russian Revolution: Event was inevitable due to that government’s policy failures – upper house speaker.
7. www.rt.com: Bryan MacDonald, 100yrs since Red October, Westerners are more into revolutionary nostalgia than Russians.
8. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, COUNTER-REVOLUTION.
9. Reuters: Putin, wary of political tumult, shuns Russian Revolution centenary.
10. The Conversation: Cynthia Hooper, How does an authoritarian regime celebrate a revolution?
11. www.opendemocracy.net: What can and can’t be said about the Russian revolution. In Russia today, there’s little consensus on the events of a century ago. But can you have national reconciliation without truth about the Russian Empire’s revolutions? (interview with Maria Lipman)
12. Russia Beyond: How did Russian writers perceive the 1917 Revolution?
13. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Virgin Commies vs. Chad Kadyrov.
14. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, The Next Big Socialist Experiment Won’t Start in Russia. The 1917 revolution tainted socialism in Russia, but not in the West.
15. New York Times: In Russian City, a Time Capsule to Comrades of the Future.
16. Reuters: Gorbachev sees Russian democracy far off: biographer Taubman.
17. Gazeta.ru: Russian expert weighs chances of reform after 2018 election. (Dmitry Badovsky)
18. New York Times: Serge Schmemann, What Russian Revolution?
19. Washington Post: David Filipov, Russia carefully marks 100th anniversary of Great October Revolution.
20. Washington Post: Ishaan Tharoor, A century after the Bolshevik Revolution, Russia has its czar.
21. Washington Post: Anne Applebaum, 100 years later, Bolshevism is back. And we should be worried.
22. Intelllinews,com: Ben Aris, Russia’s highest dividend paying stocks for the next 12 months.
23. Kommersant: Developing a Moral Immunity to HIV. The Education and Science Ministry doesn’t want young people to talk about condoms.
24. www.rt.com: Putin: One day weapons go to ‘moderate opposition,’ the next they are with terrorists.
25. The National Interest: Nikolas Gvosdev, Wanted: A U.S.-Russia Relationship That Isn’t Dysfunctional. The principal agenda item during the Putin-Trump summit is going to be the situation around North Korea-with Trump asking for additional Russian help in containing the crisis.
26. Ron Paul Institute: Daniel McAdams, State Department’s New Victoria Nuland…is Just Like the Old Victoria Nuland!
27. AP: The Russia probe may be making the Trump admin’s innocent dealings with Russia look sinister.
28. Sputnik: Flynn Investigation Part of ‘Great Sleight of Hand’ That is Russia Gate.
29. World Socialist Web Site: Andre Damon, Anti-Russia hearings in the US: Lawmakers demand tech companies censor journalists and conduct mass surveillance.
30. Consortiumnews.com: Robert Parry, Learning to Love McCarthyism. Many American liberals who once denounced McCarthyism as evil are now learning to love the ugly tactic when it can be used to advance the Russia-gate “scandal” and silence dissent.
31. Truthdig.com: Andrew Cockburn, Vladimir Putin: Computer Genius?
32. Faber & Faber: The truth is coming: Guardian Faber to publish Luke Harding’s exposé on the Russia-Trump scandal.