RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-207 :: Wednesday, 1 November 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#207
Wednesday, 1 November 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Russia Beyond: Just how sexist is Russia? In polls, Russians say they stand for equal rights, but the reality is quite different.
2. www.rt.com: Girl power: More Russian women join presidential race.
3. TASS: More than half of Russians believe Sobchak’s presidential run ‘just a publicity stunt’
4. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Mikhail Rostovskiy, Where Has Vladimir Putin Gone: Rumours Around the Election — Why There is ‘Nothing But Sobchak’ on the Russian Political Scene Now.
5. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, WALL OF GRIEF.
6. Intellinews.com: Russia moves up to 35th place in the World Bank’s annual ‘Doing Business’ index. Russia is now ranked only one place below Japan and is ahead of some EU states, such as Italy and Belgium, in terms of the World Bank’s assessment of its ‘ease of doing business’
7. Russian Defense Policy: Putin: Russia Ending Conscription.
8. www.opendemocracy.net: Sergey Damber, Welcome to Gdov, where Russia comes to an end. Russia’s westernmost district is dying out – and with it, hopes for the country’s rebirth.
9. Paul Goble: ‘Russians to This Day Remain Soviet People,’ Moscow Psychologist Says.
10. TASS: Lenin’s body will be reburied, when society sees eye to eye on it – upper house speaker.
11. Kennan Institute: Maxim Trudolyubov, The Russian State’s Lost Birth Certificate.
12. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s remarks at the global themed conference titled 100 Years of the Russian Revolution: Unity for the Future Moscow, October 31, 2017.
13. TASS: Izvestia: Oil prices may climb back to $100.
14. www.rt.com: ‘Nothing revolutionary’ about new US sanctions against Russia – Fitch.
15. www.rt.com: New US sanctions to bar Americans from Arctic offshore oil projects with Russia.
16. Huffington Post (UK): Denis MacShane, Putin Is Here To Stay And The West Has To Live With Him.
17. The National Interest: George Beebe, Containing Our Intelligence War with Russia. We should be wary of conflating Moscow’s desire to change our international behavior with an intent to destroy our nation.
18. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Thawing Turkestan.
19. www.rt.com: Dollar should not dominate the world – Russian PM Medvedev.
20. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Sushentsov, EURASIA ARCHIPELAGO. PROSPECTS FOR A CONTINENTAL SECURITY ARRANGEMENT.
21. Russian International Affairs Council: Tatiana Romanova, Resilience instead of a Hybrid Motor. (re Russia-EU relations)
22. The Nation: James Carden, Is Now the Time to Consider Expanding NATO? Instead of repeating past mistakes, now might be the right time to learn from them.
23. TASS: Kommersant: Russia invites Damascus, opposition to hold peace talks in Sochi.
24. Sic Semper Tyrannis: The next phase in Syria.
25. Consortiumnews.com: Jonathan Marshall, Blaming the Afghan War Failure on – Russia. Another part of the U.S. mainstream media’s rash of Russia-bashing is to claim that Moscow is arming Afghanistan’s Taliban, but again the evidence doesn’t match the accusations.
26. Russia Beyond: Top 3 scariest things the U.S. media have recently said about Russia.
27. www.rt.com: Russian biological samples ‘collected for research’ – US Air Force.
28. Consortiumnews.com: Robert Parry, Sorting Out the Russia Mess. The U.S. mainstream media finally has its “smoking gun” on Russia-gate – incriminating information from a junior Trump campaign adviser – but a closer look reveals serious problems with the “evidence”
29. http://theduran.com: George Szamuely, How Obama and Hillary Clinton Weaponized the ‘Dossier.’ The disclosure that the Clinton campaign, using white-shoe law firm Perkins Coie as a cutout, financed the so-called Steele dossier confirms what we have known all along.
30. Interfax: Roskomnadzor not preparing coercive measures against U.S. media, social networks – head of agency.
31. New York Times: James Rutenberg, Russia Inquiry Fails to Unite a Nation.
32. Washington Post: David Ignatius, Putin, exposed, may become more dangerous.