RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-206 :: Tuesday, 31 October 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#206
Tuesday, 31 October 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. www.rt.com: Putin says nothing can justify political persecution as Russia commemorates Stalin victims.
2. Kremlin.ru: Opening of Wall of Sorrow memorial to victims of political repression.
3. New York Times: Critics Scoff as Kremlin Erects Monument to the Repressed.
4. Kremlin.ru: Meeting of Council for Civil Society and Human Rights.
5. Moscow Times: Putin Calls Ekho Moskvy Journalist’s Attacker a ‘Sick Person’
6. Interfax: Putin notes big drop in number of “foreign agent” NGOs.
7. Interfax: Putin approves of initiative on Foreign Ministry commission monitoring compatriots’ rights abroad.
8. www.rt.com: Ex-PM Kasyanov urges coalition with other opposition figures, eyeing presidential polls.
9. Awful Avalanche: Irina Alksnis: On the Crisis of Russian Liberals – Part II.
10. www.opendemocracy.net: Yulia Taratuta, What’s wrong with Ksenia Sobchak’s campaign to be Russian president. Why being a woman is not enough.
11. Carnegie Moscow Center: Tatyana Stanovaya, Russia’s New Bureaucracy Means Tougher Times for Putin’s Friends.
12. Bear Market Brief: Analytical center counts 12 million among working poor.
13. Vedomosti: No Sensations in Putin’s Valday Club Speech. Most Important Thing Now Is Not To Engender New Fears Concerning Russia’s Policies, Experts Believe.
14. The National Interest: Anatol Lieven, Here is What I Saw at the Valdai Club Conference. The statements and exchanges at the conference regarding relations with the West were of the “he said, she said” variety that have become so drearily familiar over the years.
15. Russian Military Reform: Dmitry Gorenburg, Valdai 2017: Reactions from a newbie.
16. Russian International Affairs Council: Roderick Lyne, Russia, the USA & Europe: Is Instability Immutable?
17. Valdai Discussion Club: Vladislav Belov, CAN STEINMEIER OVERCOME GERMAN-RUSSIAN ESTRANGEMENT?
18. TASS: Lavrov castigates West’s efforts to hide behind cloak of secrecy for ‘Russia blame game’
19. TASS: US resorts to sanctions to elbow Russia out of weapons, energy markets – Lavrov.
20. Indian Punchline: M. K. Bhadrakumar, US strikes at India-Russia defence ties.
21. The Nation: Nick Turse, US Special-Operations Forces Have Quietly Moved Onto the Russian Border. The percentage of special operators deployed to Europe quadrupled last year.
22. Washington Post editorial: Uzbekistan’s new president tiptoes toward liberalization.
23. www.rt.com: No evidence of RT manipulating YouTube during US election – Google.
24. www.rt.com: ‘Russian election posts’ 0.74% & 0.004% of content – Twitter & Facebook reveal size of ‘campaign’
25. New York Times: Russian Influence Reached 126 Million Through Facebook Alone.
26. New York Times: Michelle Goldberg, The Plot Against America. Robert Mueller hands a gangster administration its first indictments.
27. Washington Post: Steven Hall, Russia’s outreach to George Papadopoulos went just how spies would have done it. I ran the CIA’s Russia operations. Here’s what I make of the Trump aide’s plea deal.
28. Wall Street Journal editorial: The Manafort Indictment. Mueller’s charges relate to money-laundering cash from Ukraine.
29. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, FIRST ARREST IN RUSSIA SCANDAL – FOR BEING AN ‘UNREGISTERED AGENT’ OF UKRAINE!
30. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Overview of Special Counsel Mueller’s Indictments and Russiagate social media claims: much ado about nothing. Russiagate legal case going nowhere; social media claims absurd.
31. Washington Post: Who’s who in the George Papadopoulos court. documents (excerpt)
32. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, YOU CAN’T TRICK A TRICKSTER IF YOU ARE RUSSIAN – RUSSIAN PROSECUTOR-GENERAL THANKS US ATTORNEY-GENERAL FOR FBI INVESTIGATION OF GEORGE PAPADOPOULOS, PAUL MANAFORT.
33. www.rt.com: Robert Bridge, Is Russiagate dead? Paul Manafort & Kiev caught up in FBI dragnet, Kremlin not mentioned.
34. TASS: Kremlin hopes probes into US election will not lead to whipping up Russophobic hysteria.