RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-205 :: Monday, 30 October 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#205
Monday, 30 October 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. TASS: Poll shows handful of Russians intend to celebrate Halloween.
2. The Fish Site: Russia to increase salmon aquaculture.
3. RFE/RL: Russia To Unveil Monument To Victims Of Political Repression.
4. Interfax: Don’t forget saddest lessons of Russian history – Volodin in connection with day memorializing victims of repression.
5. The Independent (UK): Oliver Carroll, Alexei Navalny interview: Don’t be fooled, I’m still Russia’s best hope of ousting Putin. Exclusive: Seasoned opposition leader says he won’t fall into the Kremlin trap of criticising his new presidential rival. But he does have a message for voters.
6. Interfax: Crimea should hold new referendum – Sobchak.
7. Moscow Times: Russian Journalist Yekaterina Gordon Announces She’ll Run for President in March 2018.
8. Paul Goble: Russian Liberals Attack Current Regime but Defend Foundation of Regime as Such, Birna Says.
9. Awful Avalanche: Irina Alksnis: On the Crisis of Russian Liberals – Part I.
10. NBCNews.com: William Pomeranz, What Does Putin Want? To Maintain His Power No Matter What.
11. Russia Beyond: 5 most influential expats in Russia.
12. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris RUSSIAN ECONOMY UPDATE: As inflation plunges Russia’s Central Bank cuts interest rates.
13. TASS: RBC: Russia to create new agency focused on reforms and economic breakthroughs.
14. Carnegie Moscow Center: Konstantin Kazenin, What Does the Decline of Clans in the North Caucasus Mean for Moscow?
15. Russia Insider: Paul Goncharoff, Trick or Treat – a Look at the Latest Ghoulish Russia Sanctions. Live pigs are now no longer allowed to enter Russia from the USA, Norway and Liechtenstein – with or without a visa.
16. Bear Market Brief: What new sanctions mean for Russia’s defense sector.
17. CGTN.com (China): Fred Weir, Why Russian people believe their future lies in the East.
18. www.rt.com: Trade between Russia & China sees massive growth.
19. www.rt.com: Bryan MacDonald, Putin’s revenge may see petro-yuan replace petrodollar.
20. New York Times: Russia Uses Its Oil Giant, Rosneft, as a Foreign Policy Tool.
21. Valdai Discussion Club: Yaroslav Lissovolik, ON THE PARADOX OF GLOBAL ECONOMIC INTEGRATION.
22. TASS: Kommersant: Russia mulling partial military withdrawal from Syria.
23. Consortiumnews.com: Joe Lauria, The Democratic Money Behind Russia-gate. As Russia-gate continues to buffet the Trump administration, we now know that the “scandal” started with Democrats funding the original dubious allegations of Russian interference.
24. Consortiumnews.com: Robert Parry, Guardians of the Magnitsky Myth. In pursuit of Russia-gate, the U.S. mainstream media embraces any attack on Russia and works to ensure that Americans don’t hear the other side of the story, as with the Magnitsky myth.
25. Russia Matters: Joshua Pollack, Nuclear Dangers from North Korea: Managing the Risks to the US and Russia.
26. TASS: Izvestia: Moscow, Washington to hash over Ukraine in November.
27. Interfax-Ukraine: Poll shows the number of positively disposed Ukrainians towards Russians decreased.
28. Moscow Times: Less Than Half of Russians Surveyed Back Kremlin Support for Ukraine Separatists.
29. www.rt.com: Kiev blames booze & negligence as military suffers ‘terrifying’ number of non-combat casualties.
30. Washington Post: Josh Rogin, Trump administration stalled on whether to arm Ukraine . Inaction on weapons raises questions about Trump’s willingness to stand up to Putin.
31. Newsweek.com: Christopher Gilley, WHY IS THE BBC PEDDLING FALSE HISTORY ABOUT UKRAINE?
32. Financial Times: John Thornhill, Stalin: the definitive biography of a tyrant, foibles and all. A gripping account of the Russian leader attempts to present him as a human being. (re Stalin, Vol II: Waiting for Hitler 1928-1941, by Stephen Kotkin)
33. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Explaining the Unmet Western Expectations of Imminent Russian Regime Change. PART 3: What a Regime Transformational Situation Looks Like: It Doesn’t Look Like Putin’s Russia Over the Next Few Years.