RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-197 :: Wednesday, 18 October 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#197
Wednesday, 18 October 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. New York Times: U.S. Stood by as Indonesia Killed a Half-Million People, Papers Show.
2. The Conversation: Gregory Carleton, Why Russia thinks it’s exceptional.
3. The Unz Report: Anatoly Karlin, Moscow World’s Safest Megacity for Women,
4. Moscow Times: Russian Women Speak Out After Harvey Weinstein Scandal.
5. Bear Market Blog: “Sechin has wanted to carve up Gazprom for many years”: The Stanovaya interview, part 2.
6. Newsweek.com: WILL VLADIMIR PUTIN BE REPLACED BY A WOMAN? RUSSIANS ARE AGAINST IT.
7. Meduza: Say hello to Russia’s 2018 presidential election spoiler. (Ksenia Sobchak)
8. Interfax: Russian law on foreign agents much more liberal than its U.S. analogue – Kiriyenko.
9. TASS: Ten Russian universities included in Times Higher Education ranking.
10. Russia Beyond: How did a thriller about American spies lead to a Russian film director’s downfall. (re Yuri Bykov)
11. RFE/RL: Russian Director Vows To Quit Cinema After ‘Hysteria’ Over TV Spy Thriller. (Bykov)
12. Sputnik: Russia Has Enough Potential to Ensure Digital Sovereignty – Prime Minister.
13. EUObserver: Francesco Giumelli, EU-Russia trade bouncing back despite sanctions. After three years in decline due to sanctions, EU-Russia trade relations have picked up 20 percent so far in 2017.
14. Valdai Discussion Club: DESTRUCTION, CREATION AND THE NEW WORLD ORDER. DAY 2.
15. Asia Times: David Goldman, Russia emerging as new player in Middle East balance of power.
16. www.rt.com: Large section of Russian gas pipeline to China completed.
17. Newsmax.com: Harris Poll Chairman: Russia Ads Had Little Effect on Election.
18. The Week: Ex-Russian oligarch says there’s a 90 percent chance Putin ‘personally’ tried to collude with Trump campaign. (Khodorkovsky}
19. CNN.com: GOP calls grow to end Russia investigations in Congress this year.
20. The National Interest: Paul Pillar, Americans Wrote the Russians’ Material.
21. Meduza: A top Russian official stands up for the American media.
22. Sputnik: Moscow to Respond if US Fulfills Its Threats Against Russian Media – Minister.
23. Moscow Times: Russia Prepares to Blacklist Five ‘Undesirable’ U.S. Media Outlets.
24. www.rt.com: US sanctions bill vs Russia built on fraudster’s political lobbying – Russian lawyer Veselnitskaya.
25. European Values: The Kremlin’s Platform for ‘Useful Idiots’ in the West: An Overview of RT’s Editorial Strategy and Evidence of Impact.
26. www.rt.com: Bryan MacDonald, Ukraine has a Nazi problem and a Western media problem.
27. Russia Beyond: Kiev as the “mother of Russian cities”: Fact or fiction?
28. TASS: Three injured in Kiev rally as police try to stop protesters from putting up tents.
29. TASS: Ukraine won’t survive another Maidan revolution, politicians warn.
30. Awful Avalanche: Prilepin’s Battalion: The Face Of Donbass – Part VI.
31. Presidential Power: Eugene Huskey, Kyrgyzstan – A Setback for Democracy: The 2017 Presidential Election. (excerpt)
32. The Guardian (UK): Richard Overy, Carry on up the Kremlin: how The Death of Stalin plays Russian roulette with the truth.
33. Pravda.ru: Warm war, revolution and breakdown: How the West wants to destroy Russia. (interview with Alexey Fenenko)
34. New York Times: Strobe Talbott, Stalin, Hitler and the Temptations of Totalitarianism.
35. Valdai Discussion Club: 100 YEARS AFTER THE OCTOBER REVOLUTION: RETURN OF THE RIGHT OF BRUTE FORCE. (Boris Martynov)
36. Valdai Discussion Club: Dominic Lieven, REVOLUTION, WAR AND EMPIRE.