RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-184 :: Thursday, 28 September 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#184
Thursday, 28 September 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Moscow Times: John Tefft, On the Day of My Departure. We need to rebuild trust between our two countries.
2. www.rt.com: ‘It’s crazy’: Kaspersky Lab attacked in US only for being Russian, says founder.
3. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Government members. (re budget)
4. Interfax: Poll shows quarter of Russians say political, economic protests possible.
5. Bear Market Brief: COLUMN: Politics/Regions.
6. Meduza: Putin is firing a whole bunch of governors again. Why does this keep happening?
7. Grey Dolphin (Vladimir Gel’man): Russia: It Can’t Be Improved So Destroy It, or It Can’t Be Destroyed So Improve It?
8. New York Times (2012): U.S. Seeking Use of Funds to Aid Russian Democracy.
9. Observer (New York): Mikhail Klikushin, Suffering From Self-Inflicted Wounds and Scandal, Putin Opposition in Total Disarray.
10. Paul Goble: Putin Now Looking to History Rather than to the Russian People, Stanovaya Says.
11. Reuters: Russia’s Rating Would Be One Notch Higher Without U.S. Sanctions – Fitch.
12. TASS: Russia’s grain harvest exceeds 120 mln tonnes.
13. Financial Times: Carmakers gear up for recovery in Russia. Dormant production lines are coming back into action and workers hired.
14. Wall Street Journal: In Russia, Spotlight Falls on Oil Boss. Igor Sechin has turned a state-controlled firm into a global powerhouse.
15. www.rt.com: Russian ruble cutting oil dependence, but headwinds still ahead.
16. https://bearmarketbrief.com: Miranda Lupion, Fated to Irony? The Kremlin, Matilda, and Russia’s faltering film industry.
17. Russia Beyond: 17 stories about doing business in Russia that you shouldn’t miss.
18. The Guardian (UK): Shaun Walker, Revival of a Soviet Zion: Birobidzhan celebrates its Jewish heritage. Jewish Autonomous Region in Russia’s far east is now barely 1% Jewish but officials hope to woo back people who left after Soviet collapse.
19. www.rt.com: Alexander Yakovenko, Eurasian Economic Union today.
20. Kremlin.ru: Chemical disarmament completed in Russia.
21. TASS: Izvestia: Brussels freezes Russia-NATO Council following Zapad-2017 drills.
22. Deutsche Welle: Zapad-2017: ‘Normal military business.’ Was the recent Russian and Belarussian Zapad-2017 military exercise really preparation for a major conflict as some neighbors feared? DW spoke with Thomas Möller, a Swedish army observer who was there.
23. AFP: Russia and US will cooperate to build moon’s first space station. Part of a long-term project to send humans to Mars, the Nasa-led programme will see the two countries working to create a crewed spaceport in lunar orbit.
24. The Unz Review: Andrei Martyanov, Russia’s Stand-Off Capability: The 800 Pound Gorilla in Syria.
25. TASS: Russia should be prepared for US revenge for success in Syria, expert warns. (Alexei Fenenko)
26. www.rt.com: Russian MoD denies it killed 150 civilians in Idlib airstrikes.
27. Valdai Discussion Club: Stanislav Ivanov, REFERENDUM IN IRAQI KURDISTAN: UNITY AND COHESION OF THE PEOPLE.
28. The American Conservative: Ted Galen Carpenter, Liberals Love Trump-When He Embraces Military Intervention. Commander-in-Chief is “presidential” only when he’s dropping bombs.
29. The Nation: Stephen Cohen, Do Liberal Democrats Want War With Russia? “Russiagate” is abetting the possibility of direct military conflict with Moscow, and liberals, once opponents of such politics, are promoting it.
30. Moon of Alabama: The “Russian Influence” Story Falls Apart – A New Fairy Tale Is Needed.
31. AP: Senator: Russian trolls using NFL debate to sow discord.
32. Vice News: Russia might be running anti-fracking ads too, congressman says.
33. The Hill: Warner sees Reddit as potential target for Russian influence.
34. Washington Post: What Facebook can tell us about Russian sabotage of our election.
35. www.thedailybeast.com: Exclusive: Russians Impersonated Real American Muslims to Stir Chaos on Facebook and Instagram.
36. The Nation: Are Russia’s ‘Friends’ Hiding in Your Facebook Feed? How Russian trolls tried to organize anti-immigrant rallies, and more.
37. Smithsonian magazine: Ian Frazier, WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE RUSSIAN REVOLUTION? We journey through Vladimir Putin’s Russia to measure the aftershocks of the political explosion that rocked the world a century ago. (excerpt)