RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-183 :: Wednesday, 27 September 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#183
Wednesday, 27 September 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. The New Republic: Sophie Pinkham, Understanding Russia’s War Stories. Putin’s foreign policy is rooted in an epic myth of betrayal and redemption.
2. RFE/RL: Another Worrying Sign For Russia’s Dire Demographics.
3. www.foreignpolicy.com: Susan Landau, Russia’s Hybrid Warriors Got the White House. Now They’re Coming for America’s Town Halls. Moscow knows that activists, religious groups, and NGOs are democracy’s soft underbelly.
4. Russian International Affairs Council: Pavel Koshkin, Make Facts Great Again: Is it Possible to Withstand Fake News?
5. Consortiumnews.com: Robert Parry, The Rise of the New McCarthyism. As the New McCarthyism takes hold in America, the neocon Washington Post makes Russia the villain in virtually every bad thing that happens, with U.S. dissidents treated as “fellow-travelers.”
6. Paul Goble: American Focus on Russian Interference in Elections Working to Moscow’s Benefit, Alksnis Says.
7. Counterpunch.org: William Blum, Cold War Then, Cold War Now.
8. www.rt.com: Upper house gives legal definition to foreign interference in Russia’s affairs.
9. Intellinews.com: Russia moves five places in WEF’s Global Competitiveness Report.
10. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Oil prices rise to highest level in two years.
11. Russia Insider: Justin Huebner, Putin Visits Russia’s Answer to Google (Yandex), Sees World-Beating Technology (TV News). Because they produce the world’s best programmers, Russia can easily keep up with the best the west has to offer. Putin spoke to Russia’s newest AI as they showed off their Self-Driving Cars.
12. Moscow Times: Elizaveta Osetinskaya, Yandex, a Russian Success Story and Putin’s High-Tech Tiger.
13. TASS: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Russian Civic Chamber seeks to protect youth from Western propaganda.
14. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, The Russian Empire: Too Nice for Its Own Good.
15. Russiafeed.com: Alexander Mercouris, General Asapov died because as a Russian officer he led from the front. Unlike Western armies the Russian army still requires senior officers like General Asapov to lead their men into battle.
16. TASS: Senior Russian diplomat calls nuclear arms prohibition treaty “mistake”
17. www.rt.com: Russia to respond to US restrictions on observation flights.
18. TASS: Putin lauds elimination of last chemical agent from Russian stockpiles as ‘historic event’
19. Buzzfeed.com: John Hudson, US And Russia Quietly End Diplomatic Tailspin. A behind-the-scenes effort by US and Russian diplomats may have preempted a new wave of tit-for-tat retaliations.
20. www.rt.com; Bryan MacDonald, The Atlantic Council: ‘Debates’ between people who hate Russia & people who really hate Russia.
21. Economic Principals: David Warsh, Engagement leavened with realism. To explain US-Russia discord, start with NATO expansion and Ukraine.
22. Fort Russ: Matios: Ukraine and Donbass should come to an agreement, learn from the Spanish Civil War.
23. Rossiiskaya Gazeta: Sergei Karaganov, The Future World Order . It becomes increasingly difficult for the West to impose its political systems and cultural and human values.