RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-181 :: Monday, 25 September 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#181
Monday, 25 September 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. The Independent (UK): Mary Dejevsky, Russia was the target of Nato’s own fake news. Military and media reports hyped the Zapad military exercise as a major threat. In fact, what took place was nothing as dramatic as the West’s warnings would have led you to believe.
2. Irrussianality: Patrick Armstrong, CUNNING TROLL.
3. TASS: Putin discusses Russia’s economy growth with ministers.
4. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Maxim Oreshkin and Denis Manturov.
5. TASS: Economy minister believes new technologies will drive Russia’s economy.
6. World Bank 2016 ranking of global economies in PPP (Purchasing Power Parity)
7. Awful Avalanche: Russia Income Inequality = Greatest in the World? – Part I.
8. Fort Russ: Former Finance Minister suggests to Putin to reduce the public service.
9. TASS: Media: State Duma to get tough on bank owners.
10. Russia Insider: Paul Goncharoff, Beyond Russian Oil, Gas and Agro is a Country Hard at Work. These lucrative Russian industries are totally ignored by the west, but there is colossal room for growth.
11. www.rt.com: Gazprom unseats ExxonMobil as world’s largest energy company.
12. www.opendemocracy.net: By Inna Leykin, The caring state: how Russia’s new babushkas are filling in the welfare gaps. Expectations of babushki taking care of their grandchildren, shaped by the Soviet history of family and economic policies, are hard to implement in a radically different post-socialist context.
13. Paul Goble: In Soviet Times, Russian Children were More Like Adults; Now, Russian Adults are More Like Children, Psychologists Say.
14. Interfax: Foreign activity on Kirovles case is attempt to influence 2018 elections in Russia – Federation Council.
15. Paul Goble: ‘The Emperor isn’t Just Naked: He Doesn’t Exist’ But in Russia, That Doesn’t Threaten His Power, Radzikhovsky Says.
16. Russia Beyond: In Russia, you don’t need Google: 5 reasons why Yandex is still No. 1.
17. www.rt.com: ‘Foreseeable result’: German poll outcome & rise of AfD were predictable, say Russian MPs.
18. Sputnik: Russia Waving Goodbye to Tefft: US Envoy Completing Mission in Moscow in a Week.
19. Asia Times: M.K. Bhadrakumar, Straws in the wind for a reset in US-Russian relations.
20. Interfax: Moscow dismisses Washington’s allegations of violating INF Treaty.
21. Russian International Affairs Council: Vitaly Naumkin, What Awaits Syria?
22. Counterpunch: Mike Whitney, Uncle Sam vs. Russia in Eastern Syria: the Nightmare Scenario.
23. Moon of Alabama: Syria – U.S. CentCom Declares War On Russia.
24. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, OLEG DERIPASKA AND PAUL MANAFORT – THE HUSTLER GOT HUSTLED.
25. www.rt.com: ‘We won’t force them’: Lavrov on US & Ukraine rejecting Russian proposal for UN mission to Donbass.
26. TASS: Izvestia: Russian envoy points to declining ceasefire violations in Donbass.
27. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, Why Russia Hasn’t and Won’t Invade Ukraine.
28. Interfax-Ukraine: Poll shows Ukrainians blame authorities, tycoons for growing tension in society.
29. Facebook: Fred Weir, Ukraine Language Law Controversy.
30. Altright.com: Vincent Law, Ukraine Is About To Experience Yet Another Maidan.
31. https://halfreeman.wordpress.com: Hal Freeman, REVISITING REAGAN ON RUSSIAN POLICY.
32. Sputnik: Clinton Lost Due to Crumbling of Globalized World Order, Not ‘Putin’s Vendetta’
33. New York Times: Nina Jankowicz, The Only Way to Defend Against Russia’s Information War.
34. Sputnik: For Dummies? US Publishes How-To Handbook for Countering ‘Russian Threat’
35. Russia Insider: RT May Soon Be Dropped by US Providers, Courtesy of McCain & Graham.
36. Washington Post editorial: Facebook should share those Russian ads with the public.
37. Los Angeles Times: Amy Knight, It’s a life-or-death matter to run for president in Russia against Vladimir Putin.
38. Global Comment: Natalia Antonova, You won’t believe what Russia’s weaponizing now.
39. Facebook: Michael Kofman, Russia Reading List.