RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-176 :: Wednesday, 13 September 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#176
Wednesday, 13 September 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Buzzfeed.com; John Hudson, Russia Sought A Broad Reset With Trump, Secret Document Shows. A Russian proposal obtained by BuzzFeed News reveals Moscow’s ambitious plan to break with the past and launch a major rapprochement with the United States.
2. New York Times Magazine: RT, Sputnik and Russia’s New Theory of War. How the Kremlin built one of the most powerful information weapons of the 21st century – and why it may be impossible to stop.
3. www.rt.com: Russia, US discuss extending nuclear arms reduction treaty – Russian deputy FM.
4. www.rt.com: ‘Fresh N. Korea sanctions reflect influence of Russia & China.’
5. Sputnik: Russia’s ‘Potential Influence’ Could Help Resolve North Korean Crisis.
6. Sputnik: Kremlin Denies Putin Had ‘Personal Vendetta’ Against Hillary Clinton.
7. New York Times: New Book Will Investigate Trump-Russia Connection.
8. Moscow Times: Nabi Abdullaev, Understanding the Kremlin’s Decision-Making Is a Growing Challenge. In today’s Russia, who is really calling the shots?
9. TASS: Russian culture minister slams pressure on cinemas over tsar film Matilda.
10. TASS: Russia’s federal budget deficit totals 1% in 2017 – premier.
11. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, OPEC raises its forecast for Russia’s oil and gas condensate output in 2017.
12. Washington Times: Edward Lozansky, Message to Washington and Moscow from Space.
13. Washington Examiner: Steven Nelson, FBI gets Sputnik emails, critics see ‘red line for media’ crossed in Russia probe.
14. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, How to Resist Russian Propaganda on a Tight Budget. Expensive U.S. and EU efforts are no match for a few simple techniques.
15. The National Interest: Nikolas Gosdev, Russia’s Hand Is Visible Everywhere in the Middle East. Moscow has used its new-found influence in the Middle East to thwart the U.S. effort to use Saudi Arabia as a pressure point against the Russian economy.
16. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, Survey Says: Putin Better Than Hillary And Trump.
17. Izvestia: Former ambassador to USA interviewed about Russian-US relations. (Sergey Kislyak)
18. Boston Review: Thomas Graham and Rajan Menon, The Putin Problem. [Original title: “Putting Putin in Perspective”]