RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-175 :: Tuesday, 12 September 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#175
Tuesday, 12 September 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Intellinews.com: Russian life expectancy reaches a record 72.5 years.
2. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Russian President Vladimir Putin expected to be nominated as a presidential candidate in November.
3. www.rt.com: Putin to make November announcement of his participation in 2018 presidential race – report.
4. TASS: Media ‘gazing into crystal ball’ on Putin’s nomination at polls – Kremlin.
5. TASS: Ex-Soviet leader Gorbachev calls to create civil society in Russia.
6. Washington Post: William Taubman, Why Gorbachev likes Putin more than you might expect. When democratic reforms faltered, Russians – including Gorbachev – hungered for authoritarians.
7. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Government members.
8. TASS: RBC: Kremlin views election outcome as support for new generation of managers.
9. Moscow Times: Russia’s Local and Gubernatorial Elections, the Reactions.
11. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, The Moscow Municipal Elections 2017.
12. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Pundit views persecution of journalist to explain justice quality in Russia. (Alexander Melman on Yulia Latynina)
13. Bear Market Blog: Miranda Lupion, Greasing the public’s hands: how oil and gas taxes financed the Kremlin’s social contract.
14. Intellinews.com: Russia’s CBR gets tough on banks, demands they reveal owners’ identities.
15. www.rt.com: Russia goes green: Sales of eco-friendly cars outstrip US.
16. Government.ru: Moscow Financial Forum. (Medvedev)
17. TASS: Izvestia: Russian businesses ready to boost investment in production.
18. www.rt.com: Rosneft boss predicts oil slump next year.
19. TASS: Bolshoi opening 242nd season with Mussorgsky’s Boris Godunov.
20. Forbes.com: Ann Binlot, Russian Art Fair Cosmoscow Celebrates Its Fifth Edition.
21. Eurasianet.org: Nikolay Pakhomov, Russia & Turkey: The Arms Deal that Signals the Age of Pragmatism.
22. Sputnik: US Business Continuing Projects in Russia Despite Sanctions – AmCham.
23. Reconsidering Russia Podcast: An Interview with Jack F. Matlock, Jr.
24. Valdai Discussion Club: Dmitry Suslov, THE ESTABLISHMENT WINS. TRUMP’S POLICY IS INCREASINGLY MAINSTREAM.
25. www.rt.com: Russia to US: ‘Stop destroying our relationship, start solving problems you’ve caused’
26. TASS: Kommersant: Russia to stick to parity in diplomatic spat with US.
27. Pravda.ru: Russia to deprive US diplomats of most privileges.
28. Meduza: Kevin Rothrock, ‘The sensible time may have passed’ What happens to American journalists in Russia, if the U.S. government says ‘Sputnik’ is a foreign agent?
29. Russia Without BS: Jim Kovpak, Study Finds RT and Sputnik Audience Consists Entirely of Western ‘Anti-Disinfo’ Pundits (SATIRE!)
30. www.rt.com: ‘Where are the Russians?’ WaPo worried it can’t find Kremlin hackers in German election.
31. Interfax-Ukraine: Number of Ukrainian tourists to Russia 56.1 percent up in 2017.
32. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Daily says Putin’s call for UN peacekeepers upsets Kiev’s plans.
33. The National Interest: Steven Pifer, Test Putin’s Proposal for UN Peacekeepers. A UN peacekeeping force could make a serious contribution to ending the Ukraine-Russia conflict in Donbass-if it has a proper mandate.
34. Russia Insider: Tom Luongo, UN Peacekeepers in Donbass – A Russian Play to Isolate the US From Europe. As US is talking arms shipments for Europe’s only active war Russia extends an olive branch to Germany instead.
35. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, How a Former Governor Invaded Ukraine. The failure of President Petro Poroshenko to keep a political rival out of the country speaks volumes.
36. Wall Street Journal: Corruption Battle Roils Ukraine. Reformists face attacks, with pressure on finance minister and IMF funding on the line.
37. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, Russia’s Gazprom Rediscovers It Needs Ukraine.
38. New York Times: Mikhail Khodorkovsky, A Problem Much Bigger Than Putin.
39. Consortiumnews.com: Robert Parry, Has the NYT Gone Collectively Mad? Crossing a line from recklessness into madness, The New York Times published a front-page opus suggesting that Russia was behind social media criticism of Hillary Clinton.