RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-173 :: Friday, 8 September 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#173
Friday, 8 September 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. RFE/RL: Brian Whitmore, The Kremlin’s Global Campaign Of Chaos.
2. Irrussianality; Paul Robinson, THE NEW MARTYRS.
3. Moscow Times: Moscow’s Upcoming Municipal Elections Attract Young Candidates.
4. The Economist: Local heroes. Russia votes, but will the Kremlin notice? Council elections attract a new crop of Russian civic activists.
5. Intersection: Kirill Shamiev and Taya Shentseva, The Deep Roots of Russia’s Young Protestors. Grassroots youth activism in Russia is not nearly so novel as people think.
6. Moscow Times: David Kharebov, How a Small Russian Election Inspired a Big Political Movement. A grassroots campaign aims to overturn Russia’s political landscape, starting with the Moscow municipal election.
7. Sputnik: Two-Thirds of Russians to Vote for Putin if President Runs for New Term.
8. Facebook: Fred Weir, Putin’s “popularity”
9. Vedomosti: Pundit views trends behind Putin’s “staff revolution.” (Nikolai Petrov)
10. The Kennan Institute: Fedor Krasheninnikov ,How Western Election Monitors Help Putin.
11. Interfax: Business community expects economic reforms in Russia after presidential vote – Gref.
12. Bear Market Brief: Transitory factors. Rumors of Russia’s imminent demise are exaggerated, but so are rumors that it’s roaring back.
13. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Is Russia on the verge of another banking crisis?
14. Moscow Times: Sergei Markedonov, Why Myanmar Has Inflamed the Russian Caucasus. The surge of public protests should come as no surprise to Moscow.
15. Russia Matters: Michael Kofman, Russian Military Buildup in the West: Fact Versus Fiction.
16. The Unz Review: Egor Kholmogorov – Mammoths and Patriots on the Russian Plain. (excerpt)
17. www.rt.com: Chinese investments in Russia grow as ties get closer.
18. Valdai Discussion Club: Oleg Barabanov, THREAT OF NUCLEAR WAR 55 YEARS AFTER THE CUBAN MISSILE CRISIS.
19. Kremlin.ru: Plenary session of the Eastern Economic Forum. (excerpt)
20. Bloomberg: Even the Saudis Are Turning to Russia as Assad’s Foes Lose Heart.
21. Asia Times: M K Bhadrakumar, While Trump tweets, Putin steals a march on North Korea. The Russian president has been busy this week sowing the seeds of Kremlin-led diplomacy as a solution to the impasse on the Korean Peninsula.
22. Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC): As U.S., North Korea escalate war of words, could Putin be a voice of reason?
23. Washington Post: David Ignatius, Tillerson is working with China and Russia – very, very quietly. Out of the spotlight, the secretary of state seems to be crafting a broad strategy aimed at stabilizing the situations in North Korea, Syria and Ukraine.
24. www.rt.com: Russian officials urge US to act on ‘end of tit for tat’ statement.
25. http://thesaker.is: The Saker, Make no mistake, the latest US thuggery is a sign of weakness, not strength.
26. Interfax: FBI behind all actions involving Russian diplomats in U.S. – Russian Foreign Ministry.
27. Reuters: Josh Cohen, Here’s what a realistic Ukraine settlement may look like . The idea of Ukraine joining NATO should be taken off the table, but the issue of Crimea may be hardest to solve.
28. Fort Russ: Economic migration of Ukrainians to Crimea.
29. Rasmussen Global: Rasmussen and Vershbow: the UN should test Russian sincerity for a Donbas peacekeeping force.
30. Russian and Eurasian Studies: Gordon Hahn, Getting Ukraine Wrong.
31. Academia.edu: Ivan Katchanovski, Democracy in Ukraine and its Current Struggles (excerpt)
32. www.rt.com: Facebook joins ‘Russian meddling’ frenzy with hunt for ‘divisive’ ads.
33. Wall Street Journal: Kimberley A. Strassel, Comey’s Secret Power Here’s a question: What if the FBI had a lot to do with that fake Trump ‘dossier’?
34. Russian Politics & Law: Remembering August 1991.