RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-172 :: Thursday, 7 September 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#172
Thursday, 7 September 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. The Nation: Stephen Cohen, Does Putin Really Want to ‘Destabilize the West’? Just as there is no forensic evidence of a Kremlin “attack on our democracy” in 2016, there is no political logic for Putin’s alleged motives.
2. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, In capitalist Russia, a socialist garden flourishes. While its peers were snapped up by land developers and agricultural giants in the post-Soviet era, the Lenin Sovkhoz collective farm used capitalist means to create a socialist success story.
3. TASS: Poll reveals 84% of Russians approve of Putin’s performance.
4. Russiafeed.com: Best jokes by Vladimir Putin. The best moments of Vladimir Putin’s humor in one video.
5. TASS: Putin says all countries, including US, benefit from cooperation with Russia.
6. Kremlin.ru: Plenary session of the Eastern Economic Forum.
7. TASS: Poll shows most Russians confident authorities can shield them from terrorism.
8. Vedomosti: Pundits comment on think-tank rating of Putin’s successors.
9. Vedomosti: Russian Duma’s role in upcoming presidential election viewed.
10. www.rt.com: Russian elections boss reports of additional measures to boost transparency of upcoming polls.
11. Geohistory: Russia on the Ground – August, 2017.
12. Intellinews.com: Russian institutions beat CEE peers on world university ranking.
13. Moscow Times: Russian Flight Attendants Win Aeroflot Discrimination Case.
14. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Russia’s banking sector on the edge again.
15. The Baffler: Hannah Gais, Who’s Afraid of the Russian Soul? Russophobia reveals more about us than about them.
16. TASS: Izvestia: Moscow has many options to retaliate against US seizure of diplomatic property – ex-ambassador.
17. Interfax: Moscow has many options to retaliate against U.S. handling of Russian diplomatic property – ex-Ambassador Kislyak.
18. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Maria Zakharova’s comment on the seizure of Russian diplomatic buildings by US authorities.
19. www.travelpulse.com: Travelers Suffer as US-Russia Relations Worsen.
20. Washington Post: Sam Nunn and Ernest J. Moniz, Deep U.S.-Russia malaise calls for a liaison between Trump and Congress.
21. http://thesaker.is: The Saker, Putin: “It is difficult to talk to people who confuse Austria and Australia”
22. Moscow Times: Former Russian Ambassador to U.S. Relieved to Rejoin ‘World of Normal People’
23. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 6 SEPTEMBER 2017.
RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 6 SEPTEMBER 2017
24. Carnegie Moscow Center: Andrey Kortunov, Hybrid Cooperation: A New Model for Russia-EU Relations.
25. Valdai Discussion Club: Timofei Bordachev, EURASIA: DOOMED TO DIVISION?
26. www.rt.com: Pepe Escobar, The BRICS strike back.
27. Kyiv Post: Olena Goncharova and Oleg Sukhov, Poroshenko says Russia preparing for more war, urges parliament to speed up reforms.
28. AP: US cautiously welcomes Russia’s call for UN force in Ukraine.
29. The Hollywood Reporter: Hedge Fund Manager Teams With Oscar-Winning Screenwriter to Take on Vladimir Putin. (William Browder)
30. New book: Alex Krater, The Killing of William Browder: Deconstructing Bill Browder’s Dangerous Deception.
31. Moscow Times: Alina Safronova, A Mysterious ‘Masquerade’ Comes to the Bolshoi.