RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-170-171 :: Wednesday, 6 September 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#170-171
Wednesday, 6 September 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Kremlin.ru: Vladimir Putin’s news conference following BRICS Summit
2. Russia Beyond The Headlines: Want to know the truth about what worries Russians the most?
3. Bear Market Brief: Poll finds support for reform – in theory.
[Additional Source: rbc.ru/politics/05/09/2017/59ad97c29a7947218ebdd78a?from=main]
4. Bear Market Brief: Kudrin reveals reform strategy detail.
[Additional Source: rbc.ru/economics/06/09/2017/59afc0b29a79472801e00408?from=main]
5. www.rt.com: Putin explains reluctance to reveal plans concerning 2018 presidential campaign.
6. Interfax: Putin sure there will be other candidates in addition to Ksenia Sobchak in Russian presidential election.
7. Intellinews.com: Putin could run as United Russia candidate in 2018.
8. Komsomolskaya Pravda: Pundit views Putin’s presidential election tactic. (Valery Solovey)
9. Bear Market Brief: Fabrice Deprez, The September 10th gubernatorial elections: what’s the deal?
10. Intellinews.com: Grozny protests Myanmar violence, as Chechen leader defies official Russian position.
11. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, The Islamic State Within Russia.
[Also: “Do Russians Feed the Caucasus?” unz.com/akarlin/feed-the-caucasus/]
12. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, BEGGARED FOR CHOICE – THE HISTORY OF RUSSIA’S 1917 REVOLUTIONS AS GUIDE TO WHAT HAPPENS NEXT.
13. Business Insider: Russia’s inflation drops to its lowest level since the collapse of the Soviet Union.
14. Interfax: Central Bank analysts lower Russian GDP growth forecast in Q3-Q4 on weak industrial production data.
15. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Russia Is an Emerging Superpower in Global Food Supply. Climate change is working against other regions but in favor of the Eurasian Grain Belt
16. Russia Reviewed: Review: Empire of Corruption: The Russian National Pastime by Vladimir Soloviev.
17. Russia Reviewed: Coming clean about “Putinania”
18. www.opendemocracy.net: Quiz: what kind of Kremlinologist are you?
19. Moscow Times : How Telegram Channeled Russia’s Political Intrigue.
20. Wall Street Journal: As Confederate Statues Fall, Russians Remember Their Own Controversial Figures. Leaders in the city of Kirov are unveiling a statue of Felix Dzerzhinsky, the KGB founder who oversaw the execution of hundreds of thousands of people.
21. Paul Goble: Russians have Sex but Don’t have Sex Education – and the Results are Disturbing.
22. Kremlin.ru: Meeting of BRICS leaders with delegation heads from invited states.
23. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with BRICS Business Council members.
24. Nikkei Asian Review: Jonathan Hillman, Putin’s Vladivostok forum a reality check for China-Russia ties. Lofty ambitions of a strategic partnership are undermined by self-interests.
25. The Jordan Times: Osama Al Sharif, Russia is here to stay.
26. www.rt.com: Almost half of Russians want end to military operation in Syria, poll shows.
27. Moscow Times: Igor Ivanov, North Korea Fatalists Should Look to the Past. Russia has a history of constructive interaction with the North Korean leadership.
28. www.rt.com: Do not drive N. Korea into corner, sanctions alone will not solve problem – Putin.
29. Valdai Discussion Club: Ivan Timofeev, A BIG TARGET: IS IT WORTH WAITING FOR US SANCTIONS AGAINST CHINA?
30. www.rt.com: ‘US, Russia should stop diplomatic war & start real work’ – Russia’s ambassador to US.
31. Interfax: Putin warns U.S. against supplying Ukraine with lethal weapons, which would exacerbate Donbas situation
33. Interfax: Conditions already exist for UN peacekeepers’ introduction in Donbas – Gryzlov.
34. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Poroshenko’s low popularity creates opening for Kremlin in Ukraine’s upcoming elections.
35. Russia Beyond: Welcome to Russia Beyond’s new website!
36. The Calvert Journal: Josh Nadeau, Classic Soviet TV: heroes, enemies and the legacy of the USSR’s most popular seriesLong before the current Golden Age of Television, the USSR produced its own small-screen classics. The models of masculinity and national defiance created by shows like Seventeen Moments of Spring still hold sway in modern Russia.
37. New York Times: Peter Baker, Mikhail Gorbachev Brought Democracy to Russia and Was Despised for It.
38. Quillette: Anna Lukina, Applebaum vs. Fitzpatrick: Is History Political?
39. CNN.com: Clinton consumed with Russian meddling, she writes in new book.
40. USAToday.com: Democrats’ Russia strategy: Organize protests and avoid impeachment talk.
41. https://medium.com: Scott Ritter, CrowdStrike. Making it up as they go along? A HomeFront Intelligence report on how America was conned about the DNC hack . Data that would shed light on claims of Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. Presidential election remains out of investigators’ hands. [excerpt]