RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-161 :: Tuesday, 22 August 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#161
Tuesday, 22 August 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. www.project-syndicate.org: Anders Aslund, The Achilles Heel of Putin’s Regime.
2. UNIAN (Kyiv): Russia prepping for “big war” with West – Ukraine NSDC secretary.
3. Twitter: Michael McFaul: “I constantly want to remind people that RT and Sputnik are state-owned propaganda organizations. You should too.”
4. Sputnik: What is Behind Relations Between Russia, Vatican.
5. www.rt.com: Revered Russian director detained in $1.15mn embezzlement case.
7. Sputnik: Russian Political Experts Consider Ranking of Putin Successors Incomprehensible.
8. www.rt.com: Sergey who? Russian public unaware or skeptical of far-left leader Udaltsov’s political plans.
9. Politkom.ru: Russian analyst views discontent of teachers, demand for changes. (Tatiana Stanovaya)
10. Bloomberg: Big Data Convert Channels Big Brother to Take Russia’s Pulse.
11. Valdai Discussion Club: Yaroslav Lissovolik, RUSSIA’S WTO MEMBERSHIP – MARKING THE FIRST 5 YEARS.
12. Bloomberg: Soviet-Era Grain Record Seen Tumbling on Bumper Russian Crop.
13. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Russia plans to scale back military spending – but not rearmament. Russian President Vladimir Putin announced that in 2018 the country will decrease its military budget but said the pace of rearmament will remain the same.
14. Russiafeed.com: Russia pays last Soviet debt. Payment of $152 million to Bosnia clears all outstanding Soviet debt.
15. Carnegie Moscow Center: Dmitri Trenin, Looking out Five Years: Ideological, Geopolitical, and Economic Drivers of Russian Foreign Policy. Putin has embraced patriotism and Eurasianism, but Russia must soon confront economic, security, and demographic headwinds, as well as the imperative of reform.
16. Valdai Discussion Club: Robert Legvold and Pavel Zolotaryov, US-RUSSIA RELATIONS HAVE YET TO REACH THEIR LOWEST POINT.
17. The National Interest: Angela Stent, America and Russia: Same Old, Same Old. The real impediments to better U.S.-Russian relations are structural, and go far deeper than the latest revelations about ties between Trump associates and Russians.
18. Russian International Affairs Council: Igor Istormin, The End of Determination Asymmetry between Russia and the US.
19. Valdai Discussion Club: Maxim Suchkov, U.S. VISAS SUSPENSION FOR RUSSIANS: UNPLEASANT, BUT NOT FATAL.
20. Intellinews.com: Russia condemns US decision to restrict issuing of visas.
21. TASS: US visa changes to affect mainly Russian independent travelers, says authority.
22. www.rt.com: US bets Europe willing to pay more for less dependence on Russian energy.
23. Russian International Affairs Council/Gazeta.ru: Ivan Timofeev, How the Investigation into Donald Trump’s “Russian ties” led to RIAC.
24. Bloomberg: U.S. Houses Using More Russian Lumber, Thanks to Canada Spat.
25. Wall Street Journal: Russia’s New Ambassador to U.S. Seen as Hard-Liner. Appointment of Anatoly Antonov, who served in defense ministry, seen as signal of more confrontational approach.
26. Lobelog.com: Robert Hunter, Domestic Politics Distort Relations with Russia.
27. TASS: Washington’s new strategy in Afghanistan aimed against China, expert says.
28. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, 7 reasons why by comparison with the USSR the US is losing in Afghanistan. The US is waging at inordinate cost a war in Afghanistan in which it has failed to come up with an achievable objective.
29. www.arabnews.com: Maria Dubovikova, Under the radar, Russia’s influence in Libya is growing.
30. Xinhua: Ukrainian experts positive on U.S.-Russia meeting on Ukraine crisis.
31. New York Times: These Graduates Throw Themselves, Not Caps, in the Air. Scouts from Russia and beyond hunt for talent at the year-end Moscow Circus School shows.
32. The Kremlin Stooge: Mark Chapman, The Politics Of Desperation.
33. The Nation: Joshua Holland, Russia’s Attacks on Democracy Aren’t Only a Problem for America. And that’s a problem for skeptics of Russian meddling.
34. Kremlin.ru: Tavrida National Youth Educational Forum. (Q&A with Putin)