RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-154 :: Wednesday, 9 August 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#154
Wednesday, 9 August 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. TASS: Poll indicates Russians ‘more positive’ about domestic political and economic situation.
2. New York Times: John McLaughlin, The Smart Way to Deal With Putin’s Russia.
3. Wall Street Journal: Leon Aron, Putin’s Goal: Revenge and Restoration. What ties hacking and election meddling to Syria and Ukraine? A nostalgia for Soviet-era power.
4. Washington Post: Dana Milbank, The 144 million people who like Trump best.
5. Reuters: Russia reacts to White House soap opera with a shrug.
6. Russia Insider: Paul Goncharoff, A Train Ride Through Russia’s Black Earth Belt. The world has flipped on its head. Now it’s Russians who can’t believe the propaganda being served to Americans.
7. Carnegie Moscow Center: Andrey Pertsev, A New Russian for the Old President. Vladimir Putin’s recent conversations with “ordinary Russians” are not an attempt to engage in direct democracy. Rather, they are intended to present the president with a new, artificial image of the Russian people; Kremlin officials are manufacturing conversations in which ordinary Russians are shown to be concerned with the same issues as their president.
9. USAToday.com: Anna Arutunyan, ‘Constant construction’: Moscow renovations to rid Soviet-era drabness sparks anger.
10. Moscow Times: If Navalny Takes Power He Could End Up Like Putin, Says Khodorkovsky.
11. Intersection: Stepan Goncharov, Two Protests, One Leader. The rallies on June 12 and March 26: what is the difference in the perception of protests?
12. Moscow Times: The Stunning Story of Russian Minister Ulyukayev’s Arrest for Bribery, Explained.
13. Russia Beyond the Headlines: VPN never dies: 5 questions about digital privacy in Russia. A new law aiming to restrict anonymous access to censored and illegal websites via virtual private networks (VPNs) goes into effect in Russia in November.
14. UBS Intellectual Capital: Russian Ruble: Navigating Oil Prices and Politics.
15. Reuters: Innovate, Cut Costs: How a Russian Oil Firm Navigates Global Supply Curbs.
16. Sputnik: Russian Lawmaker Suggests Imposing Sanctions on Coca-Cola, Mars, Procter&Gamble.
17. Vedomosti: Pundit says Russian army needs “large-scale reform.” (Pavel Luzin)
18. Dallas News: Robert Hutchings, Dealing with the Russians starts with understanding their interests.
19. The Unz Review: Israel Shamir, Between Cersei and Daenerys.
20. Stratfor.com: The Front Line Drawn Across Russia’s Backyard.
21. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Study in contrast: The West’s indifference to Mikheil Saakashvili; concern for Alexey Navalny. The West’s contrasting response: indifference when Saakashvili is stripped by Ukraine of his citizenship to prevent him standing in elections; sympathy for Navalny in Russia despite his fraud convictions.
22. www.rt.com: Russian oil major to stick with Venezuela despite crisis.
23. Russia Matters: Russia in Syria Monitor, Aug. 1-8, 2017.
24. www.rt.com: South Ossetia war, 9 years on: EU probe ignored, ‘nobody paid price’ for bloodshed.
25. Intellinews.com: Putin pokes Georgia in the eye with Abkhazia visit on war anniversary.
26. The National Interest: Dave Majumdar, Could a North Korean ICBM Test Trigger a Nuclear War Between Russia and America?
27. Consortiumnews.com: Philip Gerald, How Congress ‘Learns’ About Russia. Hedge-fund operator William Browder helped plunder Russia’s riches – and renounced his U.S. citizenship – but is still treated as a great truth-teller by a credulous Congress.
28. Russia Insider: Jon Hellevig, Russians Should Urgently Repatriate Their Assets From the West. The Reich did it to the Jews in 1930s, now the American regime has set up a mechanism for arbitrary mass expropriation of assets of all Russians in the West.
29. The National Interest: Kyle Mizokami, The Simple Reason Why Russia Is a Nuclear Superpower (Thanks to 715 Atomic Tests)
30. Washington Post: Obituary. John Thomas, Russia specialist.
31. http://theduran.com: Andrey Fomin, Ukraine hollows out. Since independence and especially since the Maidan coup Ukraine has experienced a population collapse unprecedented in post Second World War Europe.
32. New York Times: Russia Wants Innovation, but It’s Arresting Its Innovators.