RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-150 :: Thursday, 3 August 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#150
Thursday, 3 August 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. www.rt.com: Best catch ever? Cleveland Indians star Austin Jackson stops homer with amazing leap.
2. Russia Beyond the Headlines: The Russian wild: 5 dangers to watch out for in the summer.
3. Valdai Discussion Club: Ivan Timofeev, SMART POLICY: HOW SHOULD RUSSIA RESPOND TO US SANCTIONS?
4. Russian International Affairs Council: Igor Ivanov, Sanctions upon Sanctions.
5. CNN: Russian analyst: Moscow should work with US. (interview with Andrey Kortunov)
6. RFE/RL: Russia’s Medvedev Says U.S. Sanctions Bill Ends Hope For Better Ties.
7. Wall Street Journal: Russians Portray Washington as Mired in Chaos. Moscow sees new sanctions, which Trump has signed into law, as sign of Beltway disarray.
8. TASS: Kremlin says no new steps to retaliate US sanctions forthcoming.
9. www.rt.com: US sanctions Russia: Who, why & how we got here.
10. Interfax: Russian diplomat warns of risk to arms control with US.
11. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Donald Trump and the sanctions law: Supreme Court challenge coming (full text and analysis of the Presidential Statement). Whilst signing the sanctions law President Trump publishes a Presidential Statement which is clearly intended to prepare the ground for a challenge to the US Supreme Court on the grounds that key provisions in the sanctions law are unconstitutional.
12. The National Interest: Nikolas Gvosdev, Trump Signed Russia Sanctions into Law. Now What? The president, his national security team and Congress will have to work together to find the answers.
13. Paul Goble: Will New US Sanctions Regime Finally Hit Putin and Those Closest to Him?
14. http://theduran.com: Adam Garrie, 5 unintended consequences of US sanctions. When it comes to sanctions, the law of unintended consequences works in Russia’s supreme short and long term favour.
15. www.rt.com: US sanctions won’t stop Russia’s pipeline project to Europe – analysts.
16. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, As Trump Signs Russian Sanctions Law, Market Yawns And Germans Panic.
17. TASS: Poll shows 83% of Russians approve of Putin’s performance as president.
18. The Conversation: Peter Rutland, Imagining Russia post-Putin.
19. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Russian Investigations Committee head interviewed on work. Aleksandr Bastrykin on salary delays, underground billionaires, and confiscation of property.
20. Sean’s Russia Blog: Sean Guillory, Navalny and the Left.
21. Russiafeed.com: 5 Russia’s largest presidential grants 2017. The Russian Presidential Foundation for Civil Society Development has distributed state grants for 2017 among 1,000 NGOs.
22. Politico.com: Eugene Rumer, We’ve Seen This Movie Before. In Russia. Washington is starting to look a bit too much like Moscow for comfort.
23. Consortiumnews.com: Robert Parry, A Blacklisted Film and the New Cold War. As Congress still swoons over the anti-Kremlin Magnitsky narrative, Western political and media leaders refuse to let their people view a documentary that debunks the fable.
24. The Nation: Vadim Nikitin, We Need to Stop Using Russia as a Political Football. From Nixon to Trump, there have always been long-term risks in exploiting foreign policy for domestic political gain.
26. Awful Avalanche: Ukrainian Hero-Pilot: “I look a lot like Lavrov.” – Part II.
27. The Real News Network: Pentagon Plan to Arm Ukraine Means Escalation with Russia. (interview with Nicolai Petro)
28. RFE/RL: New U.S. Website Aims To Track Russian ‘Disinformation’ On Twitter.
29. Washington Post: Fact-checking the Trump-Russia investigation.
30. New York Times: Oh, Wait. Maybe It Was Collusion.