RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-149 :: Wednesday, 2 August 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#149
Wednesday, 2 August 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Quartz: The world fears the US more than Russia or China.
2. ABCNews.com: President Trump signs Russia sanctions bill.
3. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, Russia’s diplomatic reprisals put relations with US in deep freeze. Though not ideologically or militarily hostile toward the US in the same way as during the cold war, Moscow appears to have given up on any Trump detente and is digging in for extended tensions with Washington.
4. National Public Radio (NPR): The View From Moscow On U.S.-Russia Diplomatic Tensions. (interview with Andrey Kortunov)
5. Moscow Times: The Ousting of Hundreds of U.S. Diplomats From Moscow, Explained.
6. Interfax: Russian Foreign Ministry against tying U.S. diplomatic staff cuts to visa matters.
7. Moscow Times: If U.S. Slows Visa Processing, Moscow Will Reciprocate – Russian Politician.
8. TASS: Press Review: Nezavisimaya Gazeta: American embassy cutbacks may push US diplomats out of cars and into subway, ex-envoy says.
9. Reuters: Fragile Economy Stays Putin’s Hand in Stand-Off With U.S.
10. Kremlin.ru: Working meeting with Healthcare Minister Veronika Skvortsova.
11. www.rt.com: Russian elections chief says stronger competition needed at regional polls.
12. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Mikhail Rostovskiy: Putin and The Schoolkids: Why The Kremlin Has Suddenly Started Chasing After Young People. The President’s Main Problem Now Is Certainly Not That He Is Not on Familiar Terms With The Internet.
13. RFE/RL: Brian Whitmore, Why Navalny Can’t Lose.
15. Jacobin: ILYA BUDRAITSKIS, ILYA MATVEEV, and SEAN GUILLORY, Not Just an Artifact. The Russian left doesn’t just belong to the past. It can use the surge around Alexey Navalny to grow a new independent movement.
16. www.rt.com: Theater festival, Russian Red Cross NGO awarded largest presidential grants.
18. www.rt.com: Putin promised to keep Lenin’s body in Moscow mausoleum, communists say.
19. AP: No anthem or colors, but Russians are back at track worlds.
20. Reuters: Russia faces higher inflation, weaker rouble this year: Reuters poll.
21. TASS: Russian billionaires earn over $10 bln since start of year – Bloomberg.
22. Sputnik: Thanks Sanctions! Russian Food Security at Record Level Thanks to Restrictions.
23. Reuters: Exclusive: Sanctions gap lets Western firms tap Russian frontier oil.
24. Sputnik: How New US Sanctions are ‘Throwing Europe Into Russia’s Embrace’
25. Forbes.com: Wade Shepard, When U.S. Sanctions Backfire: Russia And Iran Partner Up In $2.5B Deal.
26. www.realcleardefense.com: Oleg Svet, To Counter Russia, Strengthen China.
27. Sic Semper Tyrannis: Patrick Lang, The New York Times Pushes Propaganda War Against Russia.
28. www.rt.com: Danielle Ryan, Assumption of US dominance in the world has ended, inevitable imperial decline is looming.
29. Russia Insider: Tom Luongo, Russia Will Adapt – But Don’t Expect Washington to Change. Putin crafts win-win solutions for his partners. Meanwhile, in America …
30. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Why are Russian tourists so unpopular abroad? Like any nation, Russians love to travel. However, not all give a good account of themselves – or their country. But they’re not alone…
31. Facebook: Ivan Katchanovski, Potemkin-village rhetoric about Ukraine.
32. Awful Avalanche: Ukrainian Hero-Pilot: “I look a lot like Lavrov.” – Part I.
Ukrainian Hero-Pilot: “I look a lot like Lavrov.” – Part I
33. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Sending ‘Defensive’ Arms to Ukraine Would Be Deadly. Both Russian and U.S. generals have an interest in testing their newer weapons against each other.
34. www.rt.com: ‘Adding fuel to the fire’: Russia blasts US plans to supply lethal arms to Ukraine.
35. New York Times editorial: Whose Message to Believe on Russia?