RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-144 :: Wednesday, 26 July 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#144
Wednesday, 26 July 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Boston Review: Thomas Graham and Rajan Menon, What Is Putin’s Endgame?
2. Russia Beyond the Headlines: What was Putin’s nickname at intelligence school? Not long after speaking to the public during the annual “Direct Line” Q&A, Putin was at it again. But this time he was speaking to kids. Here’s five thing we learned about him.
3. www.opendemocracy.net: “The Putinist majority could fast become anti-Putinist.” An interview with left activist and historian Ilya Budraitskis, on dissent, politics left and right, and the “patriotic majority” in Russia today.
4. Paul Goble: Two New Signs Russians are Ceasing to Trust the Kremlin’s Messages.
5. Interfax: Bill on multi-million fines for slander on social networks may pass State Duma in fall – Isayev.
6. TASS: Survey suggests Russians showed little interest in Nemtsov murder case.
7. Bear Market Blog/Kommersant: In Translation: No Man’s Economy. Maria Portnyagina learned that the ownerless bridges, roads, water pipes and power lines in Russia are not exotic, but the whole system.
8. Bloomberg: Russia’s $70 Billion ‘Secret’ Spending Lets Money Do the Talking.
9. Intellinews.com: Two-thirds of Russian firms want a stronger ruble.
10. Moscow Times: More Rich Russians Are Declaring Foreign Bank Accounts.
11. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Which companies have the best reputation in Russia? A recent survey showed which Russian and international companies enjoy the best standing among the Russian public – with German car manufacturer Volkswagen scooping first place.
12. www.rt.com: New US sanctions against Russia ‘defy common sense’, will cause retaliation – Moscow.
13. Valdai Discussion Club: Alexei Grivach, THE US TESTS EUROPE FOR STRENGTH.
14. Wall Street Journal: EU Cautions U.S. on Russia Sanctions Bill. Juncker said sanctions could have ‘unintended unilateral effects that impact the EU’s energy security interests’
15. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, Europe Fears Russia Sanctions Upgrade, But Will Go Along With Washington Anyway.
16. New York Times: Eduardo Porter, To Punish Putin, Economic Sanctions Are Unlikely to Do the Trick.
17. TASS: Press Review: Izvestia: US Senate stalls appointment of new ambassador to Russia.
18. Russia International Affairs Council: Natalia Travkina, For-Profit Diplomacy.(re Jon Huntsman)
19. Brookings: Steven Pifer, U.S.-Russia relations six months into the Trump administration.
20. Indian Punchline: M. K. Bhadrakumar, A new normal in Russia-China military cooperation.
21. Asia Times: Bill Gertz, CIA analyst: Beijing poses a greater threat than Russia. In an unusually candid talk, agency’s Michael Collins said China’s growing confidence and resolve – fueled by inaction against Chinese hegemony over the past several years – are a worry.
22. The Hill: Jamal Abdi, Democrats, so focused on Russia, risk pushing Trump to war with Iran.
23. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Did Russiagate begin as a Clinton campaign conspiracy? New forensic research suggests it. Forensic report by Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity implies that DNC/Podesta hacks and “Guccifer 2.0′ personas were concocted to discredit Wikileaks in advance of publication of the DNC/Podesta emails and to cast suspicion on Russia
24. TASS: Kiev court orders security service to launch probe against Poroshenko for high treason.
25. Facebook: Ivan Katchanovski, Saakashvili stripped of his Ukrainian citizenship.
26. UNIAN (Kyiv): U.S. envoy Volker: More Russian tanks in occupied Ukraine than tanks in Western Europe combined.
27. TASS: Trump backs investigation into Kiev’s meddling attempts to sabotage his election campaign.
28. Fort Russ: Ukraine has completed shutting off electricity to Donbass, but DPR and LPR are independent of Kiev for energy.
29. Intellinews.com: Russia supplies 80% of Ukraine’s coal imports.
30. www.rt.com: Ukraine starts liquidation of legendary aircraft manufacturer Antonov.
31. Intellinews.com: Fabrice Deprez, Ukrainian farmers turn to Donbas veterans for protection from raiders.