RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-14 :: Tuesday, 17 January 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#14
Tuesday, 17 January 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. BBC: Trump: The Kremlin Candidate? | Panorama. (video)
2. Irrussianality: Paul Robsinon, FARAGE, BANNON, DUGIN, & TRUMPUTINIS. (re #1)
3. www.rt.com: Most Russians feel threat from external enemies, poll shows.
4. www.rt.com: US anti-Russia sanctions failed, united Russians around President Putin – Trump’s advisor.
5. Paul Goble: Share of Russians Willing to Protest. Never Large, has Fallen Since 2014, Levada Expert Says.
6. The School of Russian and Eurasian Studies: Josh Wilson, The State of Study Abroad in Russia. An update on safety concerns and educational opportunities.
7. TASS: Russian PM says up to $1.8 bln to be earmarked to prop up economy in 2017.
8. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Russia wants to double GDP by 2035. Doubling Russia’s GDP by 2035 means the economy must grow at a rate well above the global average, said Alexei Kudrin, the author of a new economic program. This will be a big challenge. For the past two years, Russia’s GDP dynamic was negative due to the economic crisis.
9. Izvestia: Russian expert views impact of US sanctions on energy projects.
10. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Vladimir Mikheev, Trump’s trans-Atlantic shift shocks Europe, baffles Russia. Donald Trump outlined his foreign policy priorities to European media suggesting he might abandon anti-Russia sanctions as part of a nuclear arms deal with Moscow. Is this a hint that the contentious issue of Crimea, which is the official pretext for sanctions, might be resolved to Russia’s favor?
11. Wall Street Journal: China Goes Food Shopping-to Russia. ‘Everything that can be consumed by a human being in China is something they’re interested in,’ Russian official says.
12. Russian International Affairs Council: Vasily Kashin, Russia and China Respond to THAAD.
13. The Week: Michael Brendan Dougherty, How NATO grew fat and Russia took advantage.
14. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Reply by Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Maria Zakharova to a media question on the US troop buildup in Europe.
15. AP: Russia Hopes for Pragmatic Dialogue With US Under Trump. (Lavrov)
16. Sputnik: Russian FM Sergei Lavrov Holds Annual Press Conference.
17. www.rt.com: Lavrov: US diplomats frequently took part in Russian opposition rallies.
18. www.rt.com: Russia thinks it’s right to invite US to Syria talks in Astana, Lavrov says.
19. Washington Times: Edward Lozansky and Jim Jatras. What Is Best for America – Russia as a Friend or a Foe?
20. The National Interest: Daniel R. DePetris, The Commonsense of Rex Tillerson.
21. Valdai Discussion Club: REPORT: DONALD TRUMP: A PROFESSIONAL PROFILE OF THE NEW U.S. PRESIDENT.
22. The Times (UK): Full transcript of interview with Donald Trump. (excerpt re Russia)
23. BBC Monitoring: Russian experts sceptical about Trump’s nuclear deal.
24. Russia Direct: Ivan Tsvetkov, Here is why the Kremlin’s big bet on Trump might be risky. With the upcoming inauguration of U.S. President-elect Donald Trump, the Kremlin is increasingly hopeful of creating a better relationship with the West. But is it really the case?
25. www.rt.com: Fake news makers ‘worse than prostitutes’: Putin slams those behind Trump ‘leak’
26. Awful Avalanche: Trump Kompromat Dossier – Part I.
27. The Ecologist (UK): Chris Busby, He dared to speak the truth: Alexey Yablokov, scientific hero of Chernobyl.
28. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Ukraine’s Survival Strategy for the Trump Era.