RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-135 :: Friday, 14 July 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#135
Friday, 14 July 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. PBS Newshour: The deadly risk of standing up to Putin.
2. Interfax: Russia’s Lavrov “flattered” by election meddling claims.
3. Recode: Russians and Americans are more similar than they realize, ‘Bears in the Streets’ author Lisa Dickey says.
4. TASS: Russians see no need to own guns thanks to falling crime rates, expert says.
5. Intellinews.com: Bodyguards Incorporated: the rise and fall of Putin’s presidential guards’ construction empire.
6. www.rt.com: Activists demand urgent approval of bills targeting animal abuse.
7. The Economist: Rainbow Man v Bureaucrat Man. Young Russians are brainstorming ways to oppose the government. YouTube, new superheroes and an inflatable duck.
8. Interfax: Russian investigators say Nemtsov not killed over religion.
9. Meduza editorial: Five unanswered questions from the Boris Nemtsov murder trial.
10. https://codastory.com: Daria Litvinova, Campaigning to Destroy: How Moscow Authorities Promoted Mass Housing Demolition. The propaganda campaign promoting Moscow’s new housing demolition program was, without a doubt, aggressive. But was it convincing enough?
11. Gazeta.ru: Russian authorities seen targeting nationalists.
12. Valdai Discussion Club: SECURITY AND MEDIA AS INDICATORS OF FUTURE STATES’ COMPETITIVENESS.
13. Interfax: Serious Russia-NATO talk about de-escalation in Europe requires restoration of military contacts – Grushko.
14. TASS: Top diplomat says Russia’s campaign in Syria aimed at preventing Iraq scenario.
15. Reuters: U.S. Says Russia Willing to Deploy Monitors for Syria Ceasefire.
16. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, The Trump-Putin ceasefire in Syria may hold. Here’s why. The ceasefire agreed by Presidents Putin and Trump has better prospects of success than the previous ceasefires agreed by Secretary of State Kerry and Foreign Minister Lavrov because the Trump administration is more united and has a more realistic policy towards Syria than did the Obama administration.
17. Vedomosti: Expert views impact of Putin-Trump meeting on Syria peace process. (Alexei Khlebnikov)
18. TASS: Russian diplomat says activities of White Helmets increasingly questionable.
19. www.rt.com: Russia-China trade surges 26% in first half of 2017.
20. Valdai Discussion Club: Konstantin Asmolov, HOW TO END THE KOREAN PENINSULA CRISIS: POLITICAL UNCERTAINTY AND FALTERING HOPES.
21. Interfax: Russia cannot influence N Korea – Lavrov.
22. www.rt.com: ‘Time running out’: Moscow warns it may expel US diplomats over seized Russian property.
23. Reuters: U.S. Government Crackdown Threatens Kaspersky’s American Dream.
24. http://theduran.com: Adam Garrie, Donald Trump goes RATIONAL on Russia. Trump wants to complete with Russia in the marketplace not on the battlefield.
25. www.creators.com: Patrick Buchanan, Russia Baiters and Putin Haters.
26. Consortiumnews.com: Robert Parry, How Russia-gate Met the Magnitsky Myth. A documentary debunking the Magnitsky myth, which was an opening salvo in the New Cold War, was largely blocked from viewing in the West but has now become a factor in Russia-gate.
27. www.rt.com: Bryan MacDonald, Trump-Russia dominates headlines, but there’s more evidence of collusion between Democrats & Ukraine.
28. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, How the Ukraine War Spilled Into the U.S. Election. Foreign meddling in campaigns may be the new normal.
29. Kyiv Post: Olga Rudenko, A year later, no progress in Sheremet’s murder.
30. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, A tale of two countries – Russia vs Ukraine 1H17.
31. Forbes.com: Doug Bandow, Ukraine In NATO? America Should Reject A Bad Idea That Only Grows Worse With Age.
32. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s remarks and answers to media questions at the Korber Foundation, Berlin, July 13, 2017. (excerpt re Ukraine)
33. Russia Insider: Amazon Video Debuts Excellent Russian TV Series About Catherine the Great.
34. Washington Post: Steven Hall, Why Americans need to close ranks against Putin’s attack on our democracy. He’ll keep doing it until we stop him.
35. Washington Post: Fareed Zakaria, Why, oh why, does Trump love Russia so very much?