RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-133 :: Wednesday, 12 July 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#133
Wednesday, 12 July 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. PBS Newshour: Inside Russia’s propaganda machine.
2. New York Times editorial: Donald Trump Jr. Makes the Russian Connection.
3. Washington Post editorial: The Russia meddling story is no longer just smoke. It’s fire. Donald Trump Jr.’s damning interactions with Russians during the campaign.
4. Bloomberg: Leonid Bershidsky, Trump’s Low-Level Russian Connection. The lawyer who met Donald Trump Jr. was no Kremlin power broker.
5. The Independent (UK): Russian lawyer who met with Donald Trump Jr linked to investigation group behind salacious Steele Dossier.
6. Moon of Alabama: Which Campaign Truly Colluded With Russia?
7. Washington Times: Rowan Scarborough, Democrats intentionally used disinformation from Russia to attack Trump, campaign aides.
8. New York Post: Michael Goodwin, Why the latest Russia story is just another Trump witch hunt.
9. The National Interest: Daniel McCarthy, Do Trump’s Enemies Finally Have Their Smoking Gun? The latest twist to the Russia affair foretells legal trouble for the president and the president’s men.
10. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Donald Trump Junior and the Russian lawyer: non story and possible sting. Whilst the story of Donald Trump Junior’s dealings with Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya is tangled, the facts show no evidence of any wrongdoing on his part. On the contrary he is the only person who can be shown to have acted straightforwardly and honestly in the whole affair.
11. http://theduran.com: Alex Christoforou, Ukraine’s collusion with Hillary Clinton to meddle in US elections now exposed. (Video)
12. The Real News Network: Do Trump Jr.’s Russia Emails Live Up to the Hype? Journalist Marcy Wheeler says Donald Trump Jr.’s newly released emails are a big development, but we should be careful to distinguish normal opposition research from collusion.
13. www.rt.com: ‘Wild & overblown’: Lavrov blasts media hype over Trump Jr. meeting with Russian lawyer.
14. TASS: Allegations on Russia’s meddling in US elections remind of TV soap opera – Kremlin.
15. Paul Goble: Could Putin Be Ousted the Way Khrushchev Was – and for the Same Reason?
16. www.rt.com: Justice Ministry denies seeking to turn Navalny’s conditional sentence into jail term.
17. Meduza: Navalny vs. Strelkov: Russian oppositionist agrees to debate former separatist commander.
18. Moscow Times/Kennan Institute: Irina Olimpieva, Why Russian Officials Want to Control the Social Sciences. In authoritarian regimes, the social sciences are the most vulnerable to state interventions.
19. TASS: Press Review: Western businesses ‘making a comeback’ to Russia.
20. RFE/RL: Mike Eckel, With Fraying U.S.-Russian Ties Comes Fraying Arms Control.
21. Carnegie Moscow Center: Artyom Shraibman, The Boundaries of Friendship: Russia’s Border Dispute with Belarus. The dispute over newly established security zones on the Russia-Belarus border reveals that Moscow no longer sees Minsk as a reliable defense partner.
22. Counterpunch.org: Michael Pesek, Postcolonial Ukraine: Why Federalization is Not an Option for Kiev.