RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-130 :: Saturday, 8 July 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#130
Saturday, 8 July 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. www.rt.com: Putin: Trump different in real life than on TV, we can restore relations with US.
2. Sputnik: Vladimir Putin Holds Press Conference on Sidelines of G20 Summit in Hamburg.
3. Twitter: Michael McFaul, “Putin is making Trump look like a total pushover.”
4. TASS: Putin-Trump first meeting round-up.
5. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s answers to Russian media questions following President Vladimir Putin’s meeting with US President Donald Trump on the sidelines of the G20 Summit, Hamburg, July 7, 2017.
6. US Department of State: Press Briefing on the President’s Meetings at the G20.
7. TASS: Press review: First Putin-Trump meeting to kick off and IS instant messaging for recruits.
8. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, On eve of Trump-Putin meeting, Russia asks: ‘Can Trump deal?’ The Kremlin sees the G20 meeting as an opportunity to gauge whether Trump ‘is able to deliver on anything he talks about’ – a possibility that Russian analysts increasingly doubt.
9. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, A Look At The Russian Financial Press’ Reports On Trump-Putin Meeting.
10. The Vineyard of the Saker: The first Putin-Trump meeting yields…something very close to nothing.
11. The National Interest: Nikolas Gvosdev, The Trump-Putin Meeting: No More than Baby Steps. Nobody should expect major changes to happen overnight.
12. The National Interest: Matthew Rojandsky, This Is How the G-20 Summit Helped Trump and Putin Claim Victories. Don’t anticipate a swift improvement in the largely dysfunctional U.S.-Russia relationship. For Putin, the dysfunction is useful for domestic politics.
13. Forbes.com: Doug Bandow, Donald Trump Meets Vladimir Putin: Time For U.S. To Normalize Relations With Russia.
14. Washington Post editorial: Meeting Putin was necessary – but hardly ‘an honor’
15. New York Times editorial: Even Now, Does Mr. Trump Get It on Hacking?
16. Washington Post: David Ignatius, Trump may claim he won the U.S.-Russia meeting, but Putin probably benefits more.
17. Sic Semper Tyrannis: Pat Lang, No, The Russians Did Not Meddle in Our Election.