RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-122 :: Thursday, 29 June 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#122
Thursday, 29 June 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. TASS: Average life expectancy in Russia up to 71.9 years in 2016.
2. Russia Matters: Paul Saunders, Understanding Russia Doesn’t Mean Liking Moscow; It Means Making America Safer.
3. Russia Matters: Bruce Allyn, How to ‘Think Like the Russians’: A Partisan Perception Chart for Improving US-Russian Relations. (excerpt)
4. AP: Intel Report: Kremlin Sees US Urging Regime Change in Russia.
[DIA report here dia.mil/Portals/27/Documents/News/Military%20Power%20Publications/Russia%20Military%20Power%20Report%202017.pdf]
5. TASS: Putin points to growing activities of foreign secret services against Russia.
6. www.rt.com: Putin: Foreign intel services support terrorist groups on Russia’s borders.
7. Kremlin.ru: The President congratulated Foreign Intelligence Service staff and veterans on the 95th anniversary of Russian illegal intelligence.
8. www.rt.com: More ‘confident & capable’ Russia could emerge over next decade – Pentagon.
9. Russian International Affairs Council: Hall Gardner, Breaking the U.S.-Russia Impasse: Keeping the Door Open to Dialogue.
10. Russia Insider: Valeria Nollan, Clash of Worldviews: Moral Equivalence or Moral Superiority?. As the unfortunate era of unipolarity and moral superiority over others grinds to its end, the ‘moral’ lessons that the U.S. in its blindness wishes to impart to the world will fade away as well.
11. TASS: Putin’s aide points to US internal power struggle as undermining White House policy.
12. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Communist Party leader Gennady Zyuganov.
13. AP: Russia Scraps Plans to Ban Telegram Messaging App.
14. www.rt.com: Jury passes guilty verdict in Nemtsov murder case.
15. Science: Putin tightens control over Russian Academy of Sciences.
16. Washington Post: David Filipov, Why more than a million Russians have lined up to see a piece of the rib of Saint Nicholas.
17. www.rt.com: EU extends sanctions till Russia freezes over.
18. Valdai Discussion Club: Oleg Demidov, SELF-ISOLATION OR OPENNESS? HOW TO DEFEAT THE PETYA MALWARE AND OTHER CYBERATTACKS.
19. TASS: Ukraine’s Internet association chief rules out Russia’s role in Petya ransomware attack.
20. Valdai Discussion Club: Vladimir Batyuk, US WITHDRAWAL FROM THE INF TREATY WILL LEAD TO A NEW ARMS RACE.
21. Rethinking Russia: G20 before Hamburg: the Interview with Svetlana Lukash, Russia’s G20 Sherpa.
22. Reconsidering Russia Podcast #11: Vladimir Pozner.
23. The Unz Review: The Saker, Russia vs. America in Syria. Using Plausible Deniability Against a Systematically Lying Adversary.
24. Awful Avalanche: International Ballet Competition in Moscow – Warning Signs – Part VIII.
25. JTA (Jewish Telegraph Agency): Ukraine city to hold festival in honor of Nazi collaborator whose troops killed Jews.
26. www.opendemocracy.net: Mikhail Minakov, Reconstructing the power vertical: the authoritarian threat in Ukraine. Subverting the fight against corruption, whipping up patriotic publics and coopting the media and judiciary – this is the face of authoritarian drift in Ukraine.
27. AP: Experts Encourage More Public Awareness of Russian Meddling.
28. The Hill: NSA director frustrated Trump won’t accept Russia interfered in election: report.
29. Medium.com: Caitlin Johnstone, Russiagate Is Bullshit, And We Fucking Told You So.
30. The Nation: Stephen Cohen, Media Contempt for Facts Grows Along With the Dangers of War With Russia. “Russiagate” has become a grave threat to US national security-but its discredited foundational allegations persist.
31. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, The Washington Post, Russia, and Trump.