RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-116 :: Wednesday, 21 June 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#116
Wednesday, 21 June 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Pew Research Center: Russians Remain Confident in Putin’s Global Leadership. Majority says Russia has improved its international standing, but views of the economy are mixed and corruption is a concern.
2. www.rt.com: Russians overwhelmingly back Putin policies – US pollster.
3. Washington Post: A majority of Russians don’t trust Putin to solve corruption. But they trust him to run the country.
4. RFE/RL: Brian Whitmore, Not Just A Putin Problem.
5. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with Civic Chamber members.
6. Boundaries of Discourse: Three examples of the present boundaries of discourse among Russia experts in universities and think tanks.
7. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, MURDER MOST FOUL. (with comments) (re Putin’s killers)
8. Moscow Times: Mark Galeotti, It’s the Russians Wot Done It. The Kremlin is a convenient villain for our troubled times – and that narrative is playing right into Putin’s hands.
9. Rethinking Russia: President’s Call-In Show.
10. Paul Goble: Thirty Percent of Russians Now Identify as Muslims, New Survey Finds.
11. Intellinews.com: Russia places $3bn Eurobonds to high demand.
12. TASS: Extension of US sanctions to Russian sovereign debt not highly probable. (Kudrin)
13. www.opendemocracy.net: Vladimir Slivyak, Rosatom: climate’s new best friend. As Russia’s economic crisis continues to hit budgets, the country’s state nuclear corporation is going green to raise funds on the international level.
14. www.rt.com: Russia to deliver test batch of nuclear fuel to US reactor in 2019.
15. Bloomberg: Russians Aren’t Blowing Bigger Wages in Boon to Central Bank.
16. Chatham House (UK): Nigel Gould-Davies, Russia’s Economic Security Strategy Has Become an Internal Critique. What was conceived as a response to the West highlights the country’s weaknesses and strategic tensions over how to approach the global economy.
17. Financial Times: US sanctions bill dashes investor hopes for rapid Russian recovery.
18. Sputnik: New US Anti-Russian Sanctions: ‘Repercussion of Internal US Political Struggle’
19. Foreign Affairs: James Henderson and Ahmed Mehdi, Russia’s Middle East Energy Diplomacy. How the Kremlin Strengthened Its Position in the Region.
20. Russia Matters: 4 US Ambassadors Offer a Positive Agenda for US-Russian Relations. (John R. Beyrle, James F. Collins, Jack F. Matlock, Jr. and Alexander R. Vershbow)
21. www.rt.com: US stuck in 20th-century foreign policy with wars & bases across globe – leading economist. (Jeffrey Sachs)
22. Valdai Discussion Club: RIGID ALLIANCES OR AD HOC COALITIONS? MILITARY-POLITICAL ALLIANCES IN THE 21ST CENTURY.
23. www.rt.com: Finian Cunningham, Mental blockade: US embargoes 20 nations but frets over imaginary Russian siege.
24. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Russia doesn’t care enough to respond to the US shooting down an Iranian drone. Here’s why. Russia will not respond to the shooting down of the Iranian drone with the same strength it responded yesterday to the shooting down of the Syrian SU-22 provided the US remains in its base in al-Tanaf.
25. Dances With Bears: John Helmer, EVERYONE POSES – A GUIDE FROM A STATE DEPARTMENT WARFIGHTER AND A US NAVY WAR COLLEGE CONSULTANT ON WHY RUSSIANS WHO CRAVE AMERICAN LOVE DESERVE IT.
26. Wall Street Journal: Holman W. Jenkins, Jr., Anatomy of a Witch Hunt. The Trump-Russia scare comes from the same playbook as fake cancer scares.
27. Washington Post: Here’s how to keep Russian hackers from attacking the 2018 elections.
28. New York Times: In Putin’s Russia, Even History Is a Perilous Place for Dissent.
29. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, Ukraine Goes On Anti-Russia Pipeline Offensive As Europe Goes Nuts.
30. Reuters: Josh Cohen, How Trump can show he’s tough on anti-Semitism. (re Ukraine)