RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-112 :: Wednesday, 14 June 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#112
Wednesday, 14 June 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Intellinews.com: Russia ranks number 1 in the world for online dating app share.
2. Sputnik: Some 1.6Mln Questions for ‘Direct Line’ Call-in Session With Putin Received
3. New York Times editorial: How to Protest in Russia.
4. New York Times: THE LEARNING NETWORK. Article of the Day. Questions for: ‘Across Russia, Protesters Heed Navalny’s Anti-Kremlin Rallying Cry’
5. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Full of Sound and Fury, Signifying Navalny.
6. RFE/RL: After Moscow Protest Crackdown, Kremlin Critics Question Navalny’s Tactics.
7. www.rt.com: Lawmakers oppose tighter law on rallies after latest protests.
8. Sputnik: Moscow Authorities Released Almost All Minors Detained at Unauthorized Protest.
9. The Unz Report: Anatoly Karlin, Equality Before the Law.
11. Interfax: Zhirinovsky compares unauthorized rallies to ‘Russian tradition of fist-fighting’
12. Interfax: Court turns down motion on mitigating Oleg Navalny’s prison sentence.
13. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Russians are intolerant of unpatriotic behavior – poll. A recent poll shows that most Russians feel that it is unpatriotic to avoid military service, indulge in corrupt practices, or have a desire to emigrate.
14. Rethinking Russia: “Commit Thyself to Serving Motherland till Dying Day”
15. RIA Novosti: No US greetings on Russia Day “for first time” – embassy.
16. www.rt.com: Liberal party starts campaign against Russia’s counterterrorism operation in Syria. (Yabloko)
17. TASS: Russia’s State Duma adopts Moscow housing renovation bill.
18. Facebook: Washington Post Job in Moscow.
19. Valdai Discussion Club: Clifford Kupchan, SCO SUMMIT: COMPLEX GEOPOLITICS OF THE BROAD SPACE.
20. www.rt.com: Alexander Yakovenko, Collective security in Eurasia: Managing diversity & multiple threats.
21. Nova Makedonija (Macedonia): Reports of Russian interference in Macedonia ridiculed.
22. Interfax-Ukraine: Almost two thirds of Moldovans opposed to NATO membership.
23. www.rt.com: Russia will respond to NATO expansion to keep strategic balance – Putin.
24. The Strategist (Australian Strategic Policy Institute): Andrew Carr, Trump-channelling George Kennan, eight decades on.
25. The National Interest: Matt Purple, The Much-Hyped Jeff Sessions Hearing Went Nowhere. The hearing seemed less about following the evidence than conjuring up more imaginary bread crumbs on the trail from Trump Tower to Moscow.
26. Hot Air: The Ugly Question: What If The Russia Russia Russia Story Was Nothing?
27. Consortiumnews.com: Robert Parry, How Vladimir Putin Sees the World. The mainstream U.S. media has assumed the role of protecting the American people from alternative viewpoints, which is why Oliver Stone’s long-form interviews with Vladimir Putin are such a concern.
28. Consortiumnews.com: Robert Parry, Putin, Ukraine and What Americans Know. In an interview with Oliver Stone, Russian President Putin explained his take on the Ukraine crisis, one that contrasts with what the U.S. mainstream media has allowed the American people to hear.
29. Vulture: Oliver Stone Wants to Change the Way You Think About Putin.
30. Showtime website for “The Putin Interviews”: http://www.sho.com/the-putin-interviews
31. The Nation: Sophie Pinkham, The Sealed Train. A century later, historians still disagree about what caused the Russian Revolution.
32. TASS: Poll shows 85% of Ukrainians believe country to be is state of chaos.