RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-110 :: Friday, 9 June 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#110
Friday, 9 June 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. TASS: Russians cut down on smoking and drinking, says health minister.
2. http://getrussia.com: Poll: Over 60% of Russians Engaged in Charity in 2016.
3. Russia in Global Affairs: Larissa Pautova, In Stability We Trust? A Brief Sketch of Everyday Semantics. The wish to make stability the paramount value possibly saves society in a situation of uncertainty, but it does not guarantee an extraordinary result for one and all. Sooner or later there emerges demand for new ideas: those of development, innovation, patriotism, tradition, social responsibility, justice and the like.
4. TASS: Putin’s approval rating at stellar 81% – poll.
5. TASS: Bad roads, housing, Ukraine and elections among top questions for Putin’s Q&A session.
6. RIA Novosti: Kremlin dismisses report on young people as top election theme.
7. Paul Goble: Putin Hopes to Get Majority of Largely Conformist First-Time Voters, Moscow Analysts Say.
8. Moskovsky Komsomolets: Experts view alternatives to Putin for Russian presidency.
9. www.rt.com: Russian economy less dependent on oil – Finance Minister.
10. TASS: Elvira Nabiullina’s achievements as head of Russia’s Central Bank.
11. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Whither the ruble in 2017?
13. The Economist: Half-blinded but unbowed. Aleksei Navalny calls for a huge protest against Vladimir Putin. Still recovering from an acid attack, the anti-corruption candidate defies the odds.
14. TASS: Kommersant: Russia’s US diplomatic property dispute may be settled before Putin-Trump meeting in July.
15. RFE/RL: Putin Calls U.S. Senator McCain ‘Old World’ But Admires His Patriotism.
16. Counterpunch.org: Ann Garrison, Putin vs. Megyn Kelly: a Poorly Planned Match.
17. https://medium.com/the-anti-nihilist-institute: Anna Lind-Guzi, American Russophobia is real-and it’s helping Putin.
18. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, NONSENSE NEWS. (re New York Times)
19. The Hill: Comey rips media for ‘dead wrong’ Russia stories.
20. www.rt.com: The Comey nothingburger: Why ex-FBI director’s testimony won’t topple Trump.
21. Washington Post: David Filipov, Watching Comey’s testimony, Moscow shrugs off claims of Russian hacking.
22. TASS: O’Reilly’s Moscow Never Sleeps to show Russia ‘beyond politics’
23. TASS: Putin warns IS plans to destabilize southern Russia and Central Asia.
24. www.rt.com: India & Pakistan to join SCO during landmark Astana summit.
25. Carnegie Moscow Center: Shanghai cooperation organization at crossroads: views from Moscow, Beijing and New Delhi. (Alexander Gabuev, Paul Haenle, C. Raja Mohan, Dmitri Trenin)
26. Moscow Times: Russia’s Oil Bargain With Iran Has Political Overtones. Two years in the making, a new oil-for-goods agreement will fortify Russia’s power pact with Iran
27. Russia in Global Affairs: Andrei Tsygankov, Towards a New Strategy of Civilizational Concentration. Once it has consolidated its civilizational subjectivity, Russia will be able to go back to playing an active role in world affairs. This rebound will not be a return to the principles of (neo)-Soviet or superpower globalism. Rather, it will proceed from a new understanding of the country’s international role.
28. http://russiafeed.com: How Russia hacked the British election.