RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-107 :: Tuesday, 6 June 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#107
Tuesday, 6 June 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Sic Semper Tyrannis: Patrick Armstrong, When Intelligence Isn’t.
2. Economist Principals: David Warsh, The “Snow Revolution” and the Attribution Problem. On the wellsprings of Russian hacking.
3. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Foreign investors sign record number of deals in Russia. Foreign investment has been growing since the beginning of 2017, Russian President Vladimir Putin said in his address at the 21st St. Petersburg International Economic Forum (SPIEF) on June 2.
4. Wall Street Journal: Investors Stick Toes Back Into Russian Commercial Property. Russian sales volume totaled $861 million in first quarter, more than double from the same period in 2016.
5. Wall Street Journal: Russia’s Online Shoppers Prefer to Pick Up from a Warehouse.Internet sales rose 21% last year in Russia; fulfillment centers pop up all over the country.
6. TASS: Kremlin: Too early to draw up nation-wide housing renovation program.
7. Wall Street Journal: Moscow Mayor Hopes to Destroy Housing Projects in Order to Save Them. Russian capital will demolish Soviet-era apartment buildings to make way for modern high-rises.
8. PONARS Eurasia: Henry Hale, How Likely Is Russian Democratization and Reform?
9. Paul Goble: Putin Regime Likely to End by Only One of Five Scenarios Now On Offer, Eidman Says.
10. TASS: Putin says U.S. should modify electoral system.
11. www.rt.com: Senior senator warns of Western meddling in Russian presidential election.
12. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Open Thread: Limonov Mindset.
13. Meduza: ‘I think everyone in class has seen Navalny’s video’ What four young professionals learned as participants in the ‘Teach for Russia’ program. (excerpt)
14. Awful Avalanche: Hamlet Of the Arbat: KP Interviews the Family – Part I.
15. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Why is Russia bringing back food coupons? The introduction of food coupons for low-income groups has been conceived as more than a way of helping the poor. It’s also another step toward supporting domestic agricultural producers, experts say.
16. TASS: Russian expert comments on USSR collapse.
17. Carnegie Moscow Center: Tatyana Stanovaya, Macron’s Grand Gesture Toward Russia Might Just Pay Off.
18. Russian International Affairs Council: Ilya Kravchenko, USA and NATO: Who Needs Who?
19. Sputnik: Trust but Verify: Putin Asked if Russia Could Join NATO to Gauge Bloc Intentions.
20. Center on Global Interests: Connor Cleary, Idealism or Betrayal?: What Clinton-Yeltsin Rhetoric about NATO Expansion Tells Us about Today’s U.S.-Russia Crisis. Revisiting the rhetoric surrounding NATO expansion sheds light on the current confrontation between Russia and the West.
21. Russian International Affairs Council: Russian-Chinese Dialogue: The 2017 Model. RIAC, Institute of Far Eastern Studies RAS and Fudan University Report.
22. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Will Russia come to Qatar’s defense? Six states suddenly severed relations with Qatar on June 5 – they want to isolate the country from the Arab world. Russian experts believe that Moscow should not take sides in the conflict. Russia already has difficult relations with both Qatar and its enemies.
23. Izvestia: Russian daily sceptical about US plan for “Arab NATO”
24. AP: Tillerson: Trump says look past turmoil and re-engage Russia.
25. www.rt.com: Latest Russia-hacking ‘revelation’ only exposes more ‘garbage’ US journalism.
26. TASS: Moscow hopes US will stop obsessing over anti-Russia hype – Lavrov.
27. TASS: Senior security official says West’s allegations of ‘Russian hacking’ is due to anxiety.
28. Paul Goble: West’s Russophobia Will be the Salvation of Russia, Orthodox Priest Says.
29. New York Times: Gregory Feifer, A New History Recalibrates the Villains of the Russian Revolution. (re THE RUSSIAN REVOLUTION A New History by Sean McMeekin)
30. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Poroshenko Bans Half the Ukrainian Internet.
31. Deutsche Welle: Across the frontlines in Eastern Ukraine. A survey taken on both sides of the Eastern Ukraine frontline has surprised researchers in Berlin. A reflection of the complex conflict landscape, the results contain messages for both Kyiv and Moscow.