RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-106 :: Monday, 5 June 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#106
Monday, 5 June 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Masha Gessen on Putin.
2. Andrew Weiss (Carnegie): Putin’s reelection strategy in a nutshell: 69% of Russians view US as an enemy per Levada poll.
3. www.rt.com: Russia either ‘enemy’ or ‘unfriendly’ for 55% of Americans – poll.
4. Kremlin.ru: Interview to NBC News.
5. Interfax: Trump team turned out more effective during election campaign.
6. Russia Insider: Putin Informs Hacking Expert Megyn Kelly That She Has No Idea What She’s Talking About. Very politely, though.
7. www.rt.com: ‘Saying it’s Russians’ fault like blaming everything on Jews’ – Putin’s best quotes at SPIEF.
8. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, Putin ebullient at St Petersburg forum as Russia revives.
9. http://theduran.com: Adam Garrie, Here’s the MOST IMPORTANT thing Vladimir Putin said in St. Petersburg. Discussions about America were an entertaining side-show. The real meat and potatoes of the St. Petersburg Forum was all about Russia’s friendship with both India and China.
10. Financial Times: Vladimir Putin defends Russian economy as reform debate grows. Bullish predictions abound amid debate among advisers.
12. Intellinews.com: Putin calls for development of Russia’s digital economy.
13. Washington Post: David Filipov, Russian entrepreneurs wish you’d stop worrying about Putin and start thinking about them.
14. Interfax: Russian ex-finance minister says no plans to rejoin government. (Kudrin)
15. Paul Goble: Declining Birthrates among Russians Leading to Further Demographic Decline, Rosstat Figures Show.
16. Kremlin.ru: Direct Line with Vladimir Putin will be held at 12pm on June 15.
17. Financial Times: Rosneft chief Sechin looks beyond Russia sanctions. Putin ally wants stronger ties between oil heavyweights Russia, Saudi Arabia and US.
18. www.rt.com: Putin to Oliver Stone: I suggested Russia joining NATO to Clinton, he ‘didn’t mind’
19. AP: Saint’s Relics Are a Miraculous Must-See in Secular Russia.
21. Moscow Times: Michael Kofman, The Wars of the Future: Russian Defense Ministry’s New Modernization Plan. Upcoming re-armament program will offer clues on how Russia sees the future of war.
22. www.rt.com: Danielle Ryan, Clapper says Russians ‘genetically driven’ to be untrustworthy – and no one even blinks.
23. www.rt.com: Russians still see US & Ukraine as main foes, poll shows.
24. www.rt.com: ‘We love sanctions’: Russian deputy PM says US attempts at pressure backfire.
25. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, India and Russia: a friendship enduring and passionate. Russian President Putin and Indian Prime Minister Modi showed at SPIEF in St. Petersburg a continued determination to preserve a strong mutual relationship between India and Russia which for all the continued tensions also ties India and China together.
26. Valdai Discussion Club: Richard Sakwa, VALDAI PAPER #67: TRUMPERY AND KNAVERY: LOOKING FOR THE VIRTUOUS.
27. http://exiledonline.com: Mark Ames, RUSSIA BLOG #7: WHEN MOTHER JONES WAS INVESTIGATED FOR SPREADING “KREMLIN DISINFORMATION” (excerpt)
28. The Hill: Warner on Russia probe: ‘We have no smoking gun at this point’
29. Politico.com: Matt Latimer, A Noun, a Verb and Vladimir Putin. Why the Democrats are making a big mistake by obsessing over Russia.
30. Sputnik: How Obama’s State Department Sabotaged Trump Efforts to Calm US-Russia Relations.
31. Paul Goble: Not ‘Constrained by Communism’ – Why Putin is a Greater Threat than Brezhnev Ever Was.