RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-104 :: Friday, 2 June 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#104
Friday, 2 June 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. AP: French Cyber Security Leader: No Trace of Russian Hacking Group in Emmanuel Macron Campaign Leaks.
2. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, The New York Times misrepresents Putin’s denial Russia hacks into admission it does. New York Times reverses Putin’s denial Russia engages in hacking to insinuate an admission of a Russian role in hacking Podesta and the DNC.
3. Recode: Hillary Clinton at Code 2017. The former U.S. Secretary of State talks with Kara Swisher and Walt Mossberg about the 2016 campaign, Donald Trump and Russia, Russia, Russia. (excerpt)
4. Yahoo News: Michael Isikoff, How the Trump administration’s secret efforts to ease Russia sanctions fell short.
5. Valdai Discussion Club: IGOR SHUVALOV: FUTURE OF RUSSIA LIES IN CONSOLIDATION AND PROGRESS.
6. Russia Observer: Patrick Armstrong, RUSSIAN FEDERATION SITREP 1 JUNE 2017.
7. Washington Post: David Ignatius, What does Russia think about all this? ‘Washington has gone crazy.’ The Kremlin sees vulnerability in a new world order.
8. TASS: Putin to filmmaker Oliver Stone: Snowden no traitor, but should have resigned.
9. Intellinews.com: $5bn Moscow housing project controversy sows dissent before 2018 election.
10. Awful Avalanche: Young Hamlet Of the Arbat – Further Developments.
11. Wall Street Journal: Kremlin Critic Alexei Navalny Vows to Fight On. As legal obstacles to opposition figure’s presidential run multiply, he says in interview “Kremlin will have no choice” than to let his campaign proceed.
12. Moscow Times: Talking Heads: How Russia’s Videobloggers are Shaping Public Opinion. As Russians turn from their televisions in favour of YouTube, the Kremlin is struggling to find a primetime slot.
13. www.rt.com: Russia can ‘live forever’ even with oil prices below $40 – economy minister.
14. Sputnik: Investment Growth Into Russian Economy Exceeds GDP Growth – Putin at SPIEF 2017.
15. TASS: Putin concerned about Russian-US relations hitting record-low since Cold War.
16. TASS: St. Petersburg forum participants address digital economy issues on first day.
17. Kremlin.ru: Meeting with RDIF International Advisory Board members and investment community representatives.
18. www.rt.com: ‘Western sanctions have helped Russian economy; Asians are everywhere’ – Jim Rogers.
19. Russia Beyond the Headlines: RBTH talks oil, sanctions, and the U.S. market with Russian trade rep. Alexander Stadnik, the Russian trade representative in the U.S., told RBTH how Russian oil companies have carved a niche in the American market and what they’re doing to retain it.
20. Vedomosti: Russian ex-minister’s economic development plans viewed. (Kudrin)
21. www.rt.com: Russia has no plans to privatize oil sector – Kremlin responds to Kudrin.
22. Reuters: Russia Says Still Likely to Back Paris Climate Deal Despite U.S. Withdrawal.
23. Interfax: Putin warns against rushing to condemn Trump for U.S. withdrawal from climate deal.
24. Valdai Discussion Club: GLOBALIZATION REVISITED: IS EVERY COUNTRY ON ITS OWN NOW?
25. Valdai Discussion Club: INDIA-RUSSIA: PRIVILEGED STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP?
26. Wall Street Journal: Russia, Saudi Arabia Explore Expanding Oil Alliance to Middle East Troubles. Officials from both countries held meetings on economic and political concerns, including Iran.
27. Russia Insider: More Pieces Fall in Place for a Russian-US Clash in Southern Syria.
28. Washington Post: Jason Brownlee, There’s little evidence that dictators are toppling democracies.
29. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, DEMOCRATIC PROGRESS? (re Ukraine)
30. Rethinking Russia: Ivan Loshkarev, Goodwill toward Men? Ukraine’s Autocephalous Orthodox Churches.
31. Kyiv Post: Ukrainian combat units advance near frontline town of Krymske.
32. Kyiv Post/Bild (Germany): BILD: OSCE’s Hug says number of civilian casualties in war zone up dramatically.
33. E-International Relations: David Marples, Ukraine in Conflict.