RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-101 :: Tuesday, 30 May 2017
To inquire bout a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at email@example.com
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#101
Tuesday, 30 May 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. New book announcement from Brookings: The New Autocracy. Information, Politics, and Policy in Putin’s Russia. Edited by Daniel Treisman. Corruption, fake news, and the “informational autocracy” sustaining Putin in power.
2. The Guardian (UK): Mary Dejevsky, Which the bigger threat, Russia or Isis? John McCain is sure it’s Putin. There’s room for argument, but he’s right about one thing: our perception of the danger posed by Isis is skewed.
3. Kremlin.ru: Joint news conference with President of France Emmanuel Macron.
4. www.rt.com: Macron accuses RT and Sputnik of ‘behaving like deceitful propaganda’
6. http://russeurope.hypotheses.org: Jacques Sapir, The Russian economy on the eve of the Macron-Putin summit.
7. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Russians beginning to spend more on luxury items. Many affluent Russians are forking out for the relatively low prices of status luxury items in their effort to maintain a front amid the continuing crisis.
8. Harvard Business Review: Mark McNamee, Navigating the Complexities of Doing Business in Russia.
9. Awful Avalanche: O What Rogues And Peasant Slaves Are Those Moscow Cops! – Part II.
10. www.rt.com: West bears responsibility for chaos & terrorist attacks in MidEast and N. Africa – Lavrov.
11. Russia Insider: Most ‘New’ Europeans Would Prefer to Stay Neutral Between NATO and Russia. A NED-financed poll just revealed the entire East-Central Europe (including Poland) would rather be neutral than having to pick a side between Russia and NATO.
12. Neatkariga (Riga): Juris Paiders, Living Under Expectation of End of World. (re Russia and the Baltics)
13. Interfax: New period of contacts with Trump Administration yet to trigger positive change in Russia-U.S. relations – Ryabkov.
14. Consortiumnews.com: Jonathan Marshall, Alleged Russia-Taliban Arms Link Disputed. Recent Russia-bashing has included U.S. claims that Moscow is arming the Afghan Taliban, but a senior U.S. intelligence official splashed cold water on that claim in barely noticed testimony.
15. The Unz Review: Philip Giraldi, What Did John Brennan and Anonymous Sources Really Say? Speaking to a Russian becomes treasonous.
16. New York Times: David Leonhardt, A Trump-Putin Axis. On his European trip, Trump repeatedly behaved as if he were trying to advance Putin’s interests.
17. www.rt.com: ‘NYT lies’: Russian tycoon denies demanding immunity to testify about Trump-Russia ties
18. The Guardian (UK): Stuart Jeffries, Secrets, lies and the new cold war: how The Americans became truly topical TV. The spy thriller has gone from retro drama to the most prescient show on our screens. As it returns, creators Joe Weisberg and Joel Fields explain why.
19. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Loveless: 4 reasons to watch Andrei Zvyagintsev’s new movie. What happens with children when their parents are occupied only by their own lives? A new film by award-winning director exploring this theme is soon to hit world cinemas.
20. Russian and Eurasian Politics: Gordon Hahn, Semen Semenchenko and Ukraine’s Creeping Ultra-Nationalist Coup?