RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2017-1 :: Monday, 2 January 2017
To inquire about a subscription to the full Johnson’s Russia List e-mail newsletter, e-mail David Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2017-#1
Monday, 2 January 2017
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or The George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributionswhinin from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. Kremlin.ru: New Year Address to the Nation.
2. Kremlin.ru: Statement by the President of Russia.
3. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Guardian journalist’s bizarre claim Vladimir Putin’s New Year and Christmas invite is a threat to US diplomats’ children. Luke Harding claims the invitation from the President of Russia to the children of US diplomats to attend New Year and Christmas parties in the Kremlin is a threat to US diplomats, subtly reminding them that the FSB has “precise information” about their children.
4. Gazeta.ru: Russian experts see Obama’s sanctions aimed against Trump.
. The National Interest: Dimitri K. Simes and Paul J. Saunders, Spiteful Obama Lashes Out at Netanyahu and Putin (and Trump) But Hits America Too. Mr. Obama’s efforts seem directed more at his successor than at any serious U.S. foreign policy objective.
6. Irrussianality; Paul Robinson, THE LOWER DEPTHS.
7. www.rt.com: ‘Not enough data to show Russian link to election’ – Wordfence CEO.
8. The Intercept: Glenn Greenwarld, Russia Hysteria Infects WashPost Again: False Story About Hacking U.S. Electric Grid.
9. www.rt.com: Danielle Ryan, Washington Post latest blunder proves fake news is fine…if it involves Russia.
10. Gazeta.ru: Russian pundits comment on Syria ceasefire deal. (Fyodor Lukyanov and Alexei Malashenko)
11. http://theduran.com: Alexander Mercouris, Russian – Turkish ceasefire plan for Syria (OFFICIAL TEXT AND ANALYSIS). [excerpt]
12. Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Briefing by Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Maria Zakharova. (excerpts)
13. The Nation: Patrick Lawrence, The Perils of Russophobia. Anyone too young to remember HUAC and the destruction the Cold War wrought should study up. We are a few short steps away from both.
14. New York Times: Jochen Bittner, Angela Merkel, Russia’s Next Target.
15. Washington Post: Josh Rogin, The United States must join Europe to resist Russia’s meddling. Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania are begging America to join the battle against Moscow’s hybrid warfare.
16. Paul Goble: With Reforms Impossible, Some Russians Predict Revolution, Baklanov Says.
17. Politco.com: Molly K. McKew, Putin’s real long game. The world order we know is already over, and Russia is moving fast to grab the advantage. Can Trump figure out the new war in time to win it?