RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2016-83 :: Sunday-Monday, 8-9 May 2016
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2016-#83
Sunday-Monday, 8-9 May 2016
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or the George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. www.rt.com: Successful Syria operation boosts Russians’ interest in politics, researchers claim.
2. Washington Post: One of Russia’s biggest holidays is a WWII anniversary Americans don’t think about.
3. Russia Insider: Edward Lozansky, How to Avoid WWIII While Celebrating the Victory in WWII.
4. Paul Goble: ‘Russia Urgently Needs a Defeat,’ Moscow Commentator Says.
5. Global Independent Analytics: Patrick Armstrong, WHY DOES THE AMERICAN ESTABLISHMENT HATE RUSSIA SO MUCH? An interesting description and a list of reasons why the West doesn`t call Russia a friend.
6. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, PUTIN AND GUMILEV.
7. Vedomosti: Petr Kozlov, The ‘Putin Majority’ Is Strengthening Irrespective of the Crisis. Russians’ Love for Putin Does Not Depend on Party Inclinations, Pro-Kremlin Experts Believe.
8. Politkom.ru: Tatyana Stanovaya, Alexei Kudrin’s appointment: Is Kremlin prepared for reforms?
9. The Duran: Alexander Mercouris, Kudrin Returns? Why did Putin bring Alexey Kudrin back?
10. Consortiumnews.com: Joe Lauria, If Russia Had ‘Freed’ Canada.
11. Reuters: Worst may be over for Russia, risks rising in central Europe: IMF.
12. Oilprice.com: Why Gazprom’s ‘Monopoly’ in Europe is Far from Over.
13. Bloomberg: Putin walks fiscal tightrope; deficits seen to 2020.
14. The Economist: Repressing Islam in Russia. Salafis mustered. A crackdown drives Dagestan’s Muslims towards Islamic State.
15. Washington Post: Nikita Lalwani and Sam Winter-Levy, People think that economic sanctions hurt Putin and helped undermine apartheid in South Africa. They’re wrong.
16. Russia Direct: Pavel Koshkin, How educational exchanges adjust to the crisis in US-Russia relations. While educational exchanges between the U.S. and Russia have suffered from the deterioration in bilateral relations, there are still some successful programs that are finding innovative ways to foster collaboration.
17. The National Interest: Dmitry Gorenburg, The Kremlin Seeks to Reestablish Washington Ties.
18. Russia Direct: Ivan Tsvetkov, Who will lead in Asia-Pacific – the US, China or Russia? The country that will be the first to offer an acceptable set of rules and norms for economic development will ensure its leading position in the Asia-Pacific region.
19. www.rt.com: NATO won’t surrender if Russia nukes Warsaw – ex-US Supreme Commander.
20. Valdai Discussion Club: Andrey Sushentsov, AFGHANISTAN IN 2016 AND RUSSIA’S INTERESTS.
21. Sputnik: Pepe Escobar, The New Normal: Cold War 2.0.
22. Washington Post: Anne Applebaum and Edward Lucas, The danger of Russian disinformation.
23. The Unz Report: The Saker, Counter-Propaganda, Russian Style.
24. www.reddirtreport.com: BOOK REVIEW: “Soviet Baby Boomers” by Daniel J. Raleigh.
25. Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s interview with Rossiya Segodnya, May 4, 2016.
26. Washington Post: Neil A. Abrams and M. Steven Fish, How Western aid enables graft addiction in Ukraine.
27. Wall Street Journal: A Ukrainian CEO Must Fix His Company to Save His Country. (Andriy Kobolyev)
28. Facebook: Ivan Katchanovski, The War in Donbas.
29. Paul Goble: Kyiv Must Reject West’s Calls to Change Constitution and Hold Elections in Occupied Donbas, Piontkovsky Says.
30. Kyiv Post: U.S. ambassador rotation: Pyatt to Greece, Yovanovitch to Ukraine?
31. Fort Russ: Expert: 10-15 million Ukrainians will become “superfluous” in US economic plan