RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2016-65 :: Monday, 4 April 2016
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2016-#65
Monday, 4 April 2016
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or the George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. The Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP): UKRAINE: THE PRESIDENT’S OFFSHORE TAX PLAN.
2. Kyiv Post: Protester who tore up Poroshenko’s photo gets 4.5 years in jail.
3. Washington Post: Putin associates had $2 billion in offshore accounts, report says.
4. Financial Times: “None of the Mossack Fonseca files mention Mr Putin by name, or implicate him or his associates in any financial wrongdoing.”
5. Irrussianality: Paul Robsinon, SOME THOUGHTS ON THE PUTIN CORRUPTION STORY. (with comments)
6. http://off-guardian.org: Panama Papers cause Guardian to collapse into self-parody.
7. AP: The Latest: Russian media keep mum on offshore scandal.
8. TASS: Kremlin says expected more of information attacks against Putin, his friends.
9. www.foreignpolicy.com: Julia Ioffe, Pussy for Putin…and Now, Wendi Deng. Is Vladimir Putin really getting “serious” with Rupert Murdoch’s ex-wife?
10. www.thedailybeast.com: Is Vladimir Putin, Now Reportedly Romancing Wendi Deng, a Secret Lothario?
11. RFE/RL: ‘Nothing To See Here’: Russia Shrugs At Latest Allegations Against Putin.
12. Vice.com: Alec Luhn, A Putin-Loving Alien Cult Wants to Build Its ‘Extraterrestrial Embassy’ in Russia.
13. New York Daily News: EXCLUSIVE: Vladimir Putin prepares for world domination in Valiant Comics series.
14. Center for European Policy Analysis: Edward Lucas, What Plato can tell us about Putin.
15. New York Times: Mikhail Lesin’s Strange Death in U.S. Follows a Fall From Russia’s Elite.
16. New York Times: Maxim Trudolyubov, Three Rules of Kremlin Power.
17. New York Times: Masha Gessen, The Case of the Woman With the Severed Child’s Head.
18. Newsweek.com: Ben Nimmo, PUTIN’S PARANOIA IS DRIVING HIS FOREIGN ADVENTURES.
19. The New Yorker: David Remnick interviews Garry Kasparov, the Russian chess grandmaster and political activist, about the Putin regime and Russia’s future. (podcast)
20. The New Yorker: Masha Gessen, Nadiya Savchenko Gives Russia the Finger.
21. The National Interest: William Courtney and John Herbst, How Russia Undermines Nuclear Security. Moscow’s saber rattling challenges Washington’s security guarantees.
22. www.foreignpolicy.com: James Miller, Putin’s Attack Helicopters and Mercenaries Are Winning the War for Assad.
23. Washington Post: Tension is the diplomats’ curse, which Russians cure by writing verse.
24. Russia Without BS: Jim Kovpak, “Information attacks”
25. Politico: James Kirchick, The Norwegian TV series that’s enraged the Kremlin. And why you should watch it.
26. www.thedailybeast.com: Michael Weiss, Putin’s Panama Papers Caper. Years of rumors about the Russian ruler’s incredible fortune moved a step closer to fact over the weekend with a leak that far eclipses WikiLeaks’ cables or Snowden’s revelations.
27. Euromaidanpress.com: Kseniya Kirillova, Russia’s low-tech trolls in high-power western information space.
28. Politico.com: Evelyn Farkas, Trump and Putin: Two Liars Separated at Birth? No wonder they seem to like each other; they are akin in their abuse of the truth.
29. Atlantic Council: Distract, Deceive, Destroy: Putin at War in Syria. (April 5 event)