RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List table of contents :: JRL 2016-146 :: Tuesday, 9 August 2016
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2016-#146
Tuesday, 9 August 2016
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or the George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. The Daily Mail (UK): Putin’s tanks spark fears of European invasion after giant convoy is spotted massing on Ukrainian border.
2. www.rt.com: Western leaders ‘too slow’ on countering Russia – top NATO general.
3. Moscow Times: 8 Things That Will Make You Jealous of Russians and Their Dachas.
4. Valdai Discussion Club: Richard Sakwa, THE NEW GLOBALISM: THE POLITICS OF UNCERTAINTY. The strategic impasse in which Russia found itself after the Cold War has now been translated into a broader impasse in relations between Russia and the West and in global affairs as a whole.
5. Carnegie Moscow Center: Dmitri Trenin, Russia and NATO Must Communicate Better.
6. Irrussianality: Paul Robinson, LITHUANIA NEEDS YOU!
7. Levada.ru: Putin’s popularity slightly down – poll.
8. Cyprus Mail: Peter van Buren, The real reason Washington calls Putin a thug.
9. Newsweek.com: RUSSIANS GROW INCREASINGLY INDIFFERENT TO VLADIMIR PUTIN AS ECONOMY BITES.
10. Russia Direct: Ekaterina Grobman, Inside the power struggle within the Russian elite. Russian President Vladimir Putin continues to appoint the “siloviks” – officials from the law enforcement, security, and military structures – to positions of influence within the country, and that’s leading to a power struggle at the very top.
11. Vedomosti: Balance of power changed in Russian top echelons – daily. (Pavel Aptekar)
12. Russia Direct: Dmitry Dokuchaev, Liberals and statists battle for Russia’s economic future.The Russian authorities are deciding which path of further economic development to follow. For now, there are two distinct views of how to reform the Russian economy.
13. Intellinews.com: Ben Aris, The hunt for a missing RUB2 trillion.
14. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, How Is Russia’s Gazprom Holding Up To Weak Oil Prices?
15. Forbes.com: Kenneth Rapoza, New Russian Pipeline In Baltic Sea Could ‘Collapse’ Ukraine.
16. www.foreignaffairs.com: Gregory Feifer, Russian Envy. How to Understand Russian Political Culture.
17. Institute of Modern Russia: Leon Aron: “Don’t Expect a New Détente Between Russia and the West”
18. Interfax: Russian military to stay in Syria as long as govt army needs this – Komoyedov.
19. BBC Monitoring: Newspapers preview Turkish leader’s visit to Russia.
20. Wall Street Journal: Putin and Erdogan Meet to Restore Ties After Jet Shot Down.
21. Russia Beyond the Headlines/Kommersant: Erdogan understands how he can use Russia to his advantage. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has responded to Western calls to ease repressions following the recent failed coup by issuing an ultimatum to the EU on migrants and making a public show of reviving relations with Moscow. What exactly is he hoping to achieve?
22. USAToday.com: Russians: Trump more ‘fun’ than Clinton and would improve U.S.-Russia ties.
23. Russia Direct: Andrei Tsygankov, Trump’s views on Russia challenge America’s foreign policy identity. Donald Trump is challenging a fundamental notion at the core of American identity – the role of the U.S. as an unchallenged global leader able to intervene anywhere in the world in the name of democracy.
24. AP: Putin’s Return to Power Ended Clinton’s ‘Moscow Spring’
25. The Nation: William Greider, We Should Be Shocked, Shocked, at Reports of Russian Interference in US Elections. Because, you know, it’s not as if Washington has ever done the same thing to other countries.
26. The Interecept: Glenn Greenwald, Democrats’ Tactic of Accusing Critics of Kremlin Allegiance Has Long, Ugly History in U.S.
27. Russia Beyond the Headlines: Russia banned from Paralympics: What, when, why? The head of the International Paralympic Committee, Sir Philip Craven, has announced that Russia is to be given a blanket ban on participation in the Paralympics in Rio in September. What are the reasons for the severity of the punishment and is there a chance of lifting the ban before competition begins?
28. Sputnik: Guilty Without Guilt: Punishment Without Evidence and Final Investigation.
29. www.rt.com: Russian Paralympic team ban – ‘crass & insensitive decision’
30. The Daily Mail (UK): Piers Morgan, Put down your sanctimonious, hypocritical wagging finger, America – your own Olympic team’s full of drug cheats just like Russia’s.
31. National Defense University’s Center for Complex Operations: Peter Zwack, Russia’s Contradictory Relationship with the West.
32. Kyiv Post: State leaves Ukraine’s homeless to fend for themselves.
33. www.thedailybeast.com: Anna Nemtsova, Malicious Leaks Make Journalists Targets in Ukraine. Security services and rabid nationalists in Kiev are working hard to intimidate reporters trying to do their job covering the Ukraine conflict. The consequences could be deadly.