RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2015-#198 :: Monday 12 October 2015
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2015-#198
Monday – 12 October 2015
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or the George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York and the Open Society Foundations to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. www.rt.com: Putin: Russia has no intention of mounting Syria ground operation, wants to see political compromise.
2. Kremlin.ru: Interview to Vladimir Solovyov. (DJ: #1 task for Russia watchers is to read this.)
3. The National Interest: Andrey Sushentsov, Lowdown: Making Sense of Russia’s Syria Strategy. A view from Moscow on Russia’s strategy behind its Syrian move.
4. http://therealnews.com: A Syria Without Assad? Journalist Patrick Cockburn, who just returned from Syria, speaks about the impact of the Russian airstrikes in Syria and whether it can play a role in bringing the civil war to an end.
5. Prospect (UK): Rachel Polonsky, Putin’s plan for Syria. Only Russia has a clear goal-we should join it or stay out.
6. Huffingtonpost.com: Alastair Crooke, Russia’s Aim in Syria Is to Strategically Defeat ISIS and Al Qaeda.
7. The National Interest: Mikhail Barabanov, Why Russia Needs an Exit Strategy in Syria. A Russia defense expert analyzes the Syria conflict.
8. http://gordonhahn.com: Gordon Hahn, Putin’s Syria Intervention and Shi’a-Sunni Dilemma.
9. New York Times: Shiites in Iraq Hailing Putin for Syria Push.
10. Russia Insider: Alexander Mercouris, Russia’s Security Council: The Committee That Runs Russia. Russia’s Security Council is the key institutional body in Russia’s government, coordinating and deciding policy.
11. Moscow Times: Russia Sees First Capital Inflow in 5 Years.
12. Moscow Times: Chris Weafer, Where Is the Ruble Going Next?
13. TASS: Russian government approves challenging budget for 2016.
14. Sputnik: Money-Losing Business: West Loses Faith in ‘Project Ukraine’
15. Kyiv Post: Oligarchy needs to be dismantled to rebuild economy, public trust in business, experts say.
16. Russia Insider: Alexander Mercouris, End Game in Ukraine – Russia Wins. We told you this would happen. Normandy Four Talks seal Russia’s victory.
17. Counterpunch.org: Halyna Mokrushyna, On Ukraine’s ‘Incorrect’ Past.
18. 5 Kanal TV (Kyiv): Ukraine needs unity to stop Russian aggression, president tells nation.
19. www.rt.com: Russian evidence on MH17 crash ignored – Peskov.
20. Moscow Times: Lukashenko Victory Set to Stoke EU Rapprochement, Moscow Unease.
21. Moscow Times: Michele Berdy, The Artistic Triumph of Svetlana Alexievich.
22. The Unz Review: Anatoly Karlin, Why Svetlana Alexievich Won the Nobel Prize in Literature.
23. http://ericmargolis.com: Eric Margolis, FAR FAR OFF KAZAKHSTAN.
24. Reuters: Kremlin turns opinion over Syria with U.S.-style ‘shock and awe’ media blitz.
25. Business New Europe: Mark Galeotti, The limits of the Russian ‘patriotic mobilization’
26. Wall Street Journal: Analyzing Putin’s Game. A transcript of the weekend’s program on FOX News Channel. (excerpt with Garry Kasparov)
27. CNSNews.com: In ’60 Minutes’ Interview, Obama Muddles Facts on Ukraine.
28. CBSNews.com 60 Minutes: Steve Kroft questions President Obama. (excerpt re Russia)
29. Washington Post: Jackson Diehl, Putin’s model of success. Chechnya foreshadows his Syria policy.
30. Stephen Sestanovich: Has Russia Gone Rogue?
31. Salon.com: Patrick Smith, “Putin is the only major leader to utter a few simple truths about the role of the United States in the world today.” Perry Anderson on foreign policy: America’s problem is it’s a global hegemon without global ideology legitimacy.
32. www.rt.com: Gabriel Gorodetsky, How Churchill attempted to crack the ‘riddle’ of Russia. (Ivan Maisky)