RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2015-#253 :: Wednesday 30 December 2015
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2015-#253
Wednesday 30 December 2015
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or the George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org – JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist – JRL on Twitter: @JohnsonRussiaLi
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York and the Open Society Foundations to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php – Donate Online: direct link
1. www.rt.com: Ukrainian President Poroshenko’s approval rating drops below
2. www.rt.com: 15 terrifying images from Kiev’s 2014 Maidan revolution.
3. YouTube: Battlefield Kiev Ukraine protesters firebomb cops
4. Facebook: Ivan Katchanovski, The Maidan massacre cover-up.
5. AP: For Ukraine’s Rebel East, 2016 Promises More Tension.
6. https://dninews.com: Ukrainian frontier guards humiliate civilians.
7. Reuters: Josh Cohen, Corruption in Ukraine is so bad, a Nigerian prince
would be embarrassed.
8. Vice.com: Philippa Stewart, ‘People Are Walking With a Noose Around
Their Necks’: Inside Ukraine’s Huge Shadow Economy.
9. Reuters: Political feuding imperils Ukraine’s future, Obama’s record.
10. www.readukraine.com: Mark Adomanis, Ukraine’s Politics are Heading
for Crisis Again.
11. Intefax-Ukraine: Ukrainian govt’s resignation would require new coalition
formation or early elections – PM Yatseniuk.
12. TASS: Ukraine finds way to implement decommunization law without extra
13. www.readukraine.com: Mark Adomanis, Banning the Communists: Not a Terribly
14. www.opendemocracy.net: Igor Burdyga, Ukraine’s media: a plea for pluralism.
Ukraine’s media is caught between propaganda and counter-propaganda. We need to
stop this black and white thinking.
15. TASS: Russia-Ukraine trade turnover down 80% in 2015.
16. TASS: With loss of Russian market Ukraine’s crisis exit prospects look
17. Gazeta.ru: Ukrainian ex-governor urges compliance with Minsk accords.
(Interview with Serhiy Taruta, ex-governor of Donetsk Region)
18. RIA Novosti: Putin’s aide says new appointment shows commitment to
end conflict in Ukraine.
19. Russia Insider: Alexander Mercouris, Boris Gryzlov and Ukraine: Russia
brings on a Heavy-Weight. Appointment of Boris Gryzlov to represent Russia on the
Contact Group brings a key Russian decision maker into the heart of the crisis.
20. Fort Russ: Ukraine Is In A State Of Confusion: West Adopts Russia’s
Stance on Donbass.
21. AP: Crimeans Enter 2016 Struggling, but Optimistic.
22. TASS: Russia starts laying second optical fiber cable to Crimea across
Kerch Strait – minister.
23. New York Times: Dimiter Kenarov, Ending Crimea’s Isolation.
24. Pravda.ru: Crimea recovering after decades in Ukraine’s oblivion –
25. BBC: Ukraine’s traumatised soldiers struggle with civilian life.
26. Daily Telegraph (UK): Inflation hits 44pc in Ukraine amid economic
collapse. War-torn economy sees prices soar as it plans to ease capital controls
following IMF bail-out.
27. Ukraine Today: Agrarian rally spreads throughout Ukraine.
28. https://davidrmarples.wordpress.com: David Marples, Ukraine’s Quest
for Survival: a Review of 2015.
29. www.telesurtv.net: Russia Says Ukraine Preparing Military Offensive
30. Interfax-Ukraine: Situation in Kominternove remains tense, village
occupied by Russian military men.
31. www.rt.com: Caught in the act: German state channel accused of faking
Russian soldiers in Ukraine.
32. www.rt.com: Anti-Semitic video uploaded by Ukrainian MP branded ‘despicable
33. Kyiv Post: Prosecutor General’s Office says it has lots of evidence
of who killed Maidan activists.
34. Ukraine Today: Ukraine’s PM Yatsenyuk lays out 2016 goals in annual
New Year speech.
35. https://dninews.com: Having collapsed to the bottom Ukraine will stay
there for decades.
36. Tablet: Bedlam Erupts During Trial of UKROP Party Leader. The trial
of Hennadiy Korban is widely seen as a proxy conflict between oligarchs Ihor Kolomoyskyi
and Ukrainian President Poroshenko.
37. Euromaidan Press: Ukraine’s loud arrest of “Poroshenko’s main political
opponent”: what you need to know.
38. Euromaidan Press: Is Putin preparing to expand the war to Kherson?
39. UNIAN (Kyiv): Russia does not want Donbas. It wants Ukraine.
40. www.foreignpolicy.com: Erica Marat, The Problem With Ukrainian Police
Reform. Ukraine’s police are getting a much-praised makeover. But there could be
trouble down the road.
41. Stratfor.com: Ukraine: Caught Between East and West.
42. New York Times: JOHN E. HERBST, STEVEN PIFER and WILLIAM B. TAYLOR
Jr, Investing in Ukraine’s Future.