RUSSIA & UKRAINE – Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2015-#204 :: Tuesday 20 October 2015
Johnson’s Russia List :: JRL 2015-#204
Tuesday – 20 October 2015
A project sponsored through the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at The George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs
The contents do not necessarily represent the views of IERES or the George Washington University.
JRL homepage: russialist.org
JRL on Facebook: facebook.com/russialist
JRL on Twitter: twitter.com/JohnsonRussiaLi
Support JRL: russialist.org/funding.php
Support for JRL is provided in part by a grant from Carnegie Corporation of New York and the Open Society Foundations to the George Washington University and by voluntary contributions from readers.
1. Paul Goble: Poshlost’ is Defining Characteristic of Putin’s Russia, Shiropayev Says.
2. The Fiscal Times: Brookings Scholar to Vladimir Putin: Fight Me!
3. Sic Semper Tyrannis: A few observations by David Habakkuk.
4. TASS: Expert: Russia, US should seek balance of rivalry and cooperation to avoid new cold war. (Viktor Kremenyuk)
5. Moskovskiy Komsomolets: Sergey Markedonov: Russia in Conflicts: Is There Logic in the Kremlin’s Actions? The Country’s Foreign Policy Activism Should Not Be Demonized.
6. www.rt.com: Kissinger: Let Russia defeat ISIS, its destruction more important than overthrow of Assad.
7. TASS: Russian, foreign members of Valdai discussion club to meet in Sochi.
8. TASS: Activists of early 1990’s marking 25 years since founding Democratic Russia movement.
9. Russia Direct: Russian military in Syria, MH17 report and Russia’s “Law on Extremism.” Media roundup: Last week, the Russian media focused on the findings of the Dutch MH17 report and the escalation of Russia’s Syrian campaign.
10. TASS: Half of Russians say toughest days for economy still ahead – poll.
11. Wall Street Journal: Russian Economy Shows Signs of a Bottom. Capital investment, industrial production are still falling, but at slower pace.
12. Moscow Times: Foreign Investors Complain About Russia’s Unpredictable Laws.
13. Business New Europe: Multinationals pessimistic on Russian market.
14. Interfax: Russian economic development minister says “no crisis” in Russia.
15. Moscow Times: Moscow’s American Center Moves to U.S. Embassy From Library.
16. Interfax: Poll: Russians blame U.S., Middle East authorities for migrants’ exodus to Europe.
17. TASS: Lawmaker: Russia’s operation in Syria won’t last long, time frames depend on results. (Valentina Matviyenko)
18. Moon of Alabama: Why Is The U.S. Silently Bombing Syria’s Electricity Network?
19. Pubic Radio International (PRI): The US may not like Russia’s involvement in Syria, but Russians are good with it.
19a. AP: Russians support airstrikes in Syria, despite Afghan legacy.
20. www.rt.com: ‘West must use Russian door to resolve Syrian crisis’
21. Russia Direct: Artem Kureev, Russia’s Syria campaign is no panacea. Despite the reported success of Russia’s first airstrikes against ISIS and the morale boost for the Syrian army, it remains to be seen how long the Russian campaign in Syria will be viable.
22. Real News Network: Who Are the Targets of Russian Airstrikes in Syria? Russians claim to be targeting ISIS while United States says the strikes are hitting pro-Western rebel forces, but London Metropolitan University’s Sami Ramadani says these two groups are practically one in the same.
23. Novaya Gazeta: Kirill Martynov, Russia really ‘just wants to be friends’
24. www.news.com.au (Australia): US contemplates failure in the Middle East as Russia rises.
25. www.rt.com: Pepe Escobar, Dr. Strangelove is naked.
26. www.opendemocracy.net: Ummah: Islam in the post-Soviet world. oDR introduces a new series devoted to reporting and comment on Islamic life in the post-Soviet space.
27. Paul Goble: Putin Regime Will Disappear Only as Result of Military Defeat Abroad, Illarionov Says.
28. Public Books: Carine Clement, PUTIN, PATRIOTISM, AND POLITICAL APATHY.
29. Moscow Times: Yekaterinburg: Russia’s Next Capital of Culture.
30. Facebook: Ivan Katchanovski, Maidan massacre.
31. Interfax-Ukraine: PGO denies that FSB was involved in Maidan shootings, calls ex-SBU chief Nalyvaichenko in for questioning.
32. Sputnik: Nuland Tries to Bend the Truth Behind Maidan Snipers Case.
33. New York Times: Recent Quiet in Ukraine Offers Hope for a Peaceful Resolution.
34. Interfax: Swiss federalization experience useful for Ukraine – Naryshkin.
35. TASS: Ukraine completes first stage of withdrawal of tanks from contact line in Donbas.
36. TASS: Kiev forces attempt to launch offensive near Donetsk – DPR defense ministry.
37. rt.com: Moscow ready to negotiate with Kiev over flight ban.
38. www.rt.com: Ex-president sues Ukraine in European Court of Human Rights. (Viktor Yanukovich)
39. http://newcoldwar.org: New IRI poll: Ukrainian government program supported by only 11 per cent of the country.
40. Atlantic Council: Brian Mefford, Ukrainians Eager to Go to Polls.
41. Newsweek.com: Denied in Attempts to Rule the Galaxy, Darth Vader Targets Ukraine.
42. Defensenews.com: Russian Firm Offers Alternative To Findings on Downing of Jet.
43. Antiwar.com: Justin Raymondo, The New Cold War and the Death of the Discourse. Russophobia compromises the media and academia.